New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Lost key replacement hell

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 09:21 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Lost key replacement hell

So, has anyone needed to order a key replacement for a 2016 or later model year Land Rover or Range Rover? Unfortunately, we did as our kids managed to lose both keys to their 2016 Discover Sport over the last 4 years. The problem here was my son was finishing up his Senior year at SMU outside of Dallas when the last key went missing in Feb. We worked with the Jaguar/Land Rover of Dallas dealership to order the key and at the time of the order in early March we were quoted anywhere from 4-10 weeks. As explained the key need to manufactured in the UK and then shipped to the US where the dealer would need to program it specifically for our vehicle.

When we found out the dealership had no record of the order, we reached out to Land Rover USA to ask for assistance. Over the years I have worked with some pretty dysfunctional companies, but I think Land Rover USA gets the award for being the worst I think I have ever dealt with. They never got back to me and I had to call keep calling to get an update on the case they had opened for what had happened to my key order. As we have been loyal customers and my wife is on her third Range Rover HSE in 6 years I had the case escalated (after getting no response from customer service) to the executive office.

The so-called Executive Liaison that I unfortunately got assigned proved to be less than worthless if that’s possible and only followed up after multiple emails and calls. They never got in touch with the dealership and basically said “you lost the keys and we can’t help you. At this point it appears that we would need to wait another 3 months (Covid delay) on top of the 2 ½ months that we could not drive the car.

Is it just me or does something seem really wrong when you might spend over $100k for a Range Rover and can’t drive your SUV for 2+ months? Add to that the customer service team seems to be too busy to follow up and when they do, they are completely indifferent. Fortunately, the service manager at the dealership stepped up big time and found a solution to get a replacement key without waiting another 2-3 months. At this point I am so frustrated with this experience and a company that has some very broken processes and clearly doesn’t seem to care we are selling our Discovery and RR HSE and going another direction. Don’t know if anyone else feels this way but something is very wrong here and feels like this is a company has lost its way.