New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Never owned a Land Rover

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 06:23 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Never owned a Land Rover

Hi all,

Time to replace my wife's SUV. We need third row and was thinking about a discovery or LR2/3? I'm a BMW guy but the X series isn't that great plus lacks 3rd row. I work on all my own vehicles and not scared of high mileage in German cars but have zip experience with British (assuming their even still made there?) Ill be doing my DD in thr coming weeks but wanted to get this out there to the official community asap as in my experience you get the best advice from enthusiasts. Are there any models/years I should stay away from? Are these cars easy to work on?

Any info is much appreciated!

Old 07-31-2018, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

LR2 doesn't have a 3rd row either if memory serves and if it did you wouldn't want to use it. LR3 is the way to go for the usable 3rd row.

Stay up on your maintenance and take care of problems when they arise. If you do the LR3 will treat you well.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:38 PM
3rd Gear

I'm looking to buy used. Any advice when looking, are there common failures, weak parts etc?

Old 08-02-2018, 12:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

LR2 had a class action suit and a lemon law issue over differentials if memory serves. Pretty **** car

LR3 go to the LR3 section and look through the threads, there are maintenance stickies, how to's, otherwise do a google for land rover forums LR3 issues etc and several items will come up. On the whole they are good cars.

For any land rover get a PPI done, this is a minimum requirement and non negotiable unless you really already know the cars inside and out or are willing to take a risk.

In general for Land Rovers stay away from 1999-2004 unless you're in love with those cars. 2005+ are good cars, anything before 1999 is also ok but expect things to be older, less refined, more care needed etc.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:44 AM
3rd Gear

That's great information DavC! Also are the LR a spin-off of the discovery or is Discovery The Next Step Up? Also what's the difference between the SE and HSE? As an enthusiast what is your opinion on the best most common and solid model and year overall to be able to cut my teeth on so to speak? I guess basically, where to start? Also this would be a daily driver with 20 mile commute one way.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

In USA market they used different names for some models. LR was just a designation they used to avoid using the discovery name in our market after reliability issues with the Discovery 2. Notice that now they have gone back to using the discovery name for the Discovery 5 (2017-)

LR2 (not a discovery, its a freelander in ROW markets). Completely separate model from Discovery or Range Rover (or Defender for that matter).

Discovery 1 1989-1999
Discovery 2 1999-2004
Discovery 3 (LR3) 2005-2009
Discovery 4 (LR4) 2010-2016

SE vs HSE are trim packages, they vary specifically by year but basically HSE is the higher spec trim package than SE. Some early SE models have features that HSE has too, very small differences sometimes.

Most solid model to get into Land Rovers for USA specific buyers? LR3 2006-2009 HSE or SE, prefer the models with the bi xenon headlamps as those are very good. Prefer 7 seat model. Prefer mileage around 70k-120k but these engines can do at least 250k under normal good use. Get one inspected, have it serviced by a good mechanic and set some money aside for maybe future issues like replacing a leaky air suspension component or possibly a differential that goes bad (not terribly common).

If your commute is at least 20 min of driving each way it will be good for the health of the car as it will be run regularly at good speeds and at a good time period for oil temps.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:17 AM
3rd Gear

Acewin and DavC. Good quetions and snswers. I'm new here with similar questions.
One of the acronyms has me stumped, what is PPI as it relates to the vehicle?

Old 08-29-2018, 06:23 AM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by scootn
Acewin and DavC. Good quetions and snswers. I'm new here with similar questions.
One of the acronyms has me stumped, what is PPI as it relates to the vehicle?
PPI is not a Land Rover specific acronym, but it should be!!!!
When skipped, it's usually the first mistake most new potential LR owners make.

PPI = Pre Purchase Inspection

Old 09-04-2018, 11:12 PM
3rd Gear

Welcome! The LR3 or LR4 is what you want. My favorite are the 2010-2013 LR4 as these are the most powerful discos made. Earlier ones has smaller/weaker v8s and subsequent ones has smaller and lower power v6s. Also those 5.0 v8s are quite efficient. I'm averaging 20.4mpg per the dash readout (havent checked manually yet to confirm accuracy).

Old 10-29-2018, 02:30 PM
1st Gear

To repeat the OP (and not create a new thread):

Anyone been specifically with the 2015 models? I'm lookibg at a 2015 Discovery or the 2015 RR Sport. My Lexus RX450 got T-Boned by an asshat 2 weeks ago, so now I have to find a new car. LR has been on my want list for awhile. Just worried about coming from a Toyota since they have been reliable AF. I just can't find anything to tell me how the 2015 Disco has been up to this point. :/ Just the normal "old LR isn't reliable". I saw DavC's note about mileage and preferred years. Any good advice about the 2015s or how have things been with em (breakdown wise)?

Quick Reply: Never owned a Land Rover