New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New 99 Disco II, Semi-project Winter Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 10:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New 99 Disco II, Semi-project Winter Car

Hey!

I've always liked the look of the Discovery, but when this thing came out I was not far out of high school and couldn't buy steam off a hot lunch.

The Disco:
I bought it cheap and it has some funny issue with the transfer case(the search function will be my friend), minor alignment prob usually associated with a lifted vehicle(yes, I am a previous Jeep owner), and the rear sunroof doesn't close all the way, but it runs strong and made the 90+ mile trip home at freeway speeds without any real problems(except the alignment; lifted guys will know what I mean). It's also called "Thor", not for the half-baked movie, but because it has the 4.0 "Thor" V8(as you guys probably figured anyway).

I'm here to look for answers while I fix 'er up and trailmates when she's worthy, because like Captain Ron says, "If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there."

I'm no stranger to fixing, modifying, and rigging cars to do what I want them to do either, so maybe I'll be able to contribute something as well.

Now I'm off to molest the Search Button!

Old 05-18-2011, 11:52 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to the Forum!

Old 05-19-2011, 03:14 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome! Hopefully you'll find lots of answers here, and for the most part a pretty civil group!

Now post some pics of Thor!

Old 05-20-2011, 08:57 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks guys. My biggest discovery(no pun intended) was that It's a Disco 1. I feel like Robert Downey Jr. on "Due Date" when he finds out the kid he thought was a boy is a girl. I figured that out when I tried to get a new air filter for it and looking online for sunroof parts(rear doesn't tilt down).

Old 05-20-2011, 10:26 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whoops! LOL. So when you signed for it did you think it was a DII??? Sorry, not meaning to laugh at you, hopefully laughing WITH you

From the pictures, looks to be a very nice rig. DI's have CDL so if you're planning on taking it off road, the DI (over the DII) will be a pleasant surprise in that regard.

Last edited by yloDiscoII; 05-20-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
Whoops! LOL. So when you signed for it did you think it was a DII??? Sorry, not meaning to laugh at you, hopefully laughing WITH you

From the pictures, looks to be a very nice rig. DI's have CDL so if you're planning on taking it off road, the DI (over the DII) will be a pleasant surprise in that regard.
I was in the market for a used full-size Ford Bronco, actually. It was at a Public Auto Auction, though, and the Bronco was rusted out! So, not wanting to waste my time, I looked around and found some sort of Range Rover that appeared to have been used as a home for various wild animals. Then there was Thor... I always wanted a Discovery I or II, but I didn't know the difference. The code scanner said it was a Disco 2, so that's what I went with. I'm actually glad it has the CDL. This vehicle just needs to take the place of my 2011 Mustang GT Conv. when the snow hits and they don't plow my road. I had a Jeep with 35's previously and had a blast off-road with it and playing search-and-rescue during "Snowmageddon", lol! The idiots who drove their Miatas and other non-sensical passenger cars in that mess were so happy and tried to pay me or even hit on me(the girls, not the guys), but I was just having fun showing off my jeep! I hope to get Thor out and do some SAR or just play around off-road.