New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New D3 TDV6 owner from Germany

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 07:44 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New D3 TDV6 owner from Germany

Hi gents,

after being a 'lurker' on this forum for awhile, I felt the need to introduce myself and my car properly.
Since Sept 2019 I'm driving a 2009 LR3 (MY2008.5) TDV6 HSE 7-seater in Java black as a daily driver. When buying it had around 174k km on the clock and quite a few important maintenance services had been done to it by the preowner (timing belts, new turbo, oil pump 2.0).
The car has been very well looked after - exterior- and interiorwise. According to the sat nav history the elderly preowner used the LR3 primarily on long trips like Czech Republic, Great Britain etc. Therefore the interior can be described as factory-new, especially from the first row rearwards. Same thing for the undercarriage - everything fresh and clean behind the covers. And no towing or offroading so far

There had been a few issues to solve nevertheless: the door-lock on the rear passenger door wasn't locking properly, new front brakes were needed and there was a rumble from the front axle on the overrun.
First I suspected worn CV joints but when the rumble didn't disappear after swapping the front driveshafts for new ones, I decided to rebuild the front differential. Voila - at least one of the two differential carrier bearings had been heavily worn. While having the front diff out I replaced both lower control arms with Meyle HD parts because the rear lower hydrabushes felt a bit loose to me.

After the front of the car being quiet a rumble from the rear could be heard. So out with the rear diff and guess what - same thing here. One of the carrier bearings were on its way out so I rebuilt the whole lot as well.

Then I changed the transmission oil (and retrofitted the metal pan + separate filter) and the transfer box oil too. After disassembling and cleaning the rear door lock actuator the LR3 will now lock all doors on a reliable basis again. On top of that I modified the FBH with the Webasto 1533 and a GSM module to pre-warm the engine during cold weather.

Except of a failed EGR nothing had been wrong with the car during the last 15k km. The car drives superb and its everyday suitability is more than sufficient for my purposes.

Just a few words about my person - I'm in my mid-thirties and am working in the healthcare sector. Turning the spanners I learned myself during the past five years with my MY 2000 Jaguar XJR which I used as a daily driver. During that period of time I rebuilt it pretty much entirely

I feel fortunate to have a Jaguar/LR IDS/SDD-system ready at hand so that any diagnosis on the LR3 is as easy as it was with the Jaguar.
And now - let the pictures speak for themselves!