New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New DII owner in Cleveland, Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 11:40 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New DII owner in Cleveland, Ohio

Good afternoon, my name is Jason. I just bought my fist Land Rover. I picked a great deal on a 1999 Dicsovery II with 99k miles. I couldn't pass up the deal. I paid 2950.00 for it from a 80 year old woman.
She owned if for five year and had all service done at the dealership. It still needs a few things but is in great shape. It has stickers for four recall campaigns that were completed. I haven't looked up what were repairs were done.

The truck ha no rust and a few door dings from parking lots. Everything works but the cruise on troll.( it is missing the vacuum lines). The service engine light was on when I got it, but I scanned it and found that it needed a new mass air sensor. Which the owner had in a box in the back. So it's changed and codes are cleared. Seems to run like a top and just needs the muffler replaced.

I've been watching the forum while looking to buy a DII so I am familiar with the usual issues and plan to change the u-joints on both driveshafts. Repair the cruise control, do a sea foam cleaning. Then enjoy it.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Welcome. Sounds like a good deal. You'll want to do the high miles serivce items in our tech area that are not documented by the previous owner, and be aware that the heat gauge is programmed to point at 50% from 130 - 240F, you need a scanner or Ultra Gauge to see true temps. A 180F after market thermostat is available that cools things off just a bit to extend life of engine. PO may not have used low range very often, so exercise that, may need to be lubed. If you have orange Dexcool coolant it is time to flush it out and go with 50/50 premixed green coolant, like Peak.

Lube hood latch cable (both ends). If it were mine I would unplug the hood alarm switch to prevent immobilization probloems when trying to jump a dead battery, etc.

Attached Thumbnails New DII owner in Cleveland, Ohio-pittsburgh-20120905-00034.jpg  
Old 04-13-2013, 07:42 PM
3rd Gear

I plan to do all the high mile work. At this point I just need to do the exhaust to get it to pass emission inspection, and the cruise control so I can be comfortable on the highway. The u joints will be some time this week.
I plan on the 180 thermostat, oil change, coolant change and vacuum line replacements in two weeks. The current coolant and oil look in newer condition and the coolant is green with a test rate of -32 degrees.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:55 AM
3rd Gear

Well solved the cruise control issue. Someone removed the vacuum hose from the vacuum pump to the diaphragm. An eight inch piece of hose and it is fixed.

I looked at the front drive shaft. No greasable u-joints. So that will be the first thing done this week. Plus I plan to take it to a local muffler shop to have exhaust fixed. It is cheaper than getting the stock muffler and rear pipe. I don't plan to use the rear resonator. I would like a bit of a rumble.