New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New guy from Ohio, but I have a Land Cruiser. Can I stay?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 11:22 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy from Ohio, but I have a Land Cruiser. Can I stay?

Greetings from southwest Ohio! I'm afraid I'm going down a slippery slope; I've been haunting this board on & off for a year now, but now I actually became a forum member. Probably not a good sign. I'm afraid it's not going to stop until I actually get a rover.

I did the same thing with a Jaguar forum; became a member, and despite all the warnings, I got a Jaguar anyway. It is, indeed, a little needy regarding maintenance, but oh my: what a nice, fun car!

Based on what I'm seeing here, it's the same with the Discovery: maintain it & it'll be very rewarding. However, I also own a T***** Land Cruiser. That, too, is a fantastic, extremely capable vehicle, but we have 170k+ miles on it. What prompted me to jump back on this forum was: the prices of Land Cruisers. We looked at a 2000 Cruiser with 98k miles on it. They would not take less than $14600. Then I get on here & see newer Discos with lower mileage for 2/3 that price.

I'm totally a value guy, but that's a blessing and a curse with Rovers: I could get a great, extremely capable vehicle for $9k, but I'm afraid the parts & service would make me ill. I'm only a moderate wrencher and don't mind some wrenching, but am also very busy with life in general.

So I just wanted to say hello. Hopefully you won't see me post "Well I finally bought one!" But I'm afraid that I know myself too well.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

There is a reason those cruisers hold their value so well. You aren't as likely to need head gaskets or an engine on a v8 100 series land cruiser. Of course for the price, you could get an LR3. Or two. And the LR3 isn't likely to need head gaskets either.