New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New to Land Rovers, needing mechanical advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 03:19 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Land Rovers, needing mechanical advice

Hello all, i've been wanting a discovery for awhile now and finally got my hands on one. Its not currently running, and i would like all the help i can get so i can have it going soon. Its a 99 discovery sd. Was told it just needs head gasket, but the story for that issue doesnt match a blown head gasket. Hoping its fairly simple.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:08 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

welcome and good luck

Old 09-18-2014, 10:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bwatson94
Hello all, i've been wanting a discovery for awhile now and finally got my hands on one. Its not currently running, and i would like all the help i can get so i can have it going soon. Its a 99 discovery sd. Was told it just needs head gasket, but the story for that issue doesnt match a blown head gasket. Hoping its fairly simple.
A head gasket job will cost nearly 2k unless you can do it yourself.
Look under DiscoII section at Hi mileage maintenance by Disco Mike, It is a good reference. Also Head gaskets has a wealth of info.
For Mechanical help, search the forum for a specific problem. Sometimes it is easier to search using google.
If you need to ask a question for help, Always include year, mileage, work done recently, Be specific. Don't Say "I have the 3 Amigos what do I do?" you can find more than you want to know on here by searching.
Everyone on here is usually straightforward and somewhat polite if you respect the forum and be specific. Did I mention be specific?? Whan I first got here I didn't really ask a question that anybody could understand. Most ignored it..some "Straightened me out" On this. Use the contributors time wisely . there is a bunch of very intelligent folks on here, that know how to help you. There are many opinions too That you must figure out on your own.. Good luck

Old 09-20-2014, 10:00 PM
8th Gear

hey Watson ive got a 99 d2 and had a similar issue was told it had head issues also.so after pulling the motor and doing complete head job had block checked and heads reworked and shaved true.I put motor back in to find out that it was still getting hot so before u do rebuild or replace head gaskets make sure that its not just a bad viscous fan that's all my issue was.live and learn this was a costly one though thank goodness im mechanically inclined.good luck

Old 09-22-2014, 01:53 AM
4wd High

Im hoping its simpler than heads. I traded my Volvo straight across for it and had it delivered and i havent even messed with it yet so im not sure exactly what its doing. Hopefully i can start working on it soon, i need another project (lol)

Old 09-22-2014, 07:34 AM
Baja

start with a compression and cooling system tests

Old 09-22-2014, 04:42 PM
4wd High

The story behind it, as i was told by previous owner, is that it was at a used car dealer. They had it out for a test drive and later that day went to start it and it wouldnt start. Im not sure how they figure head gasket from that, and i haven't had time to mess with it. I did find receipts in it for a new fuel pump and filter 7,000 miles ago and the notes said it wasn't running before that due to fuel pressure, so thats one thing i'll check also. Now my question for anyone is did i get a decent deal? Its a 99 sd with 177,000 miles, no rust and looks great inside and out. I traded a Volvo 850 wagon straight across for it, it wasnt the best running either but was daily driveable. Any thoughts or opinions?

Old 09-23-2014, 07:32 AM
Baja

so you traded a running car for a non-running car?

Old 09-23-2014, 12:49 PM
4wd High

Basically. It had its own problems as well though and i didnt drive it, so i dont feel as if i lost much