New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New member with a 2003 Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 06:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 136 Likes on 67 Posts
Default New member with a 2003 Disco II

Hi everyone, wanted to introduce myself...

I'm a new member, and my fiancée and I are the proud owners of a 2003 Discover II SE (silver) with 22k miles on her. We've had the car only a few days, but I already have the mod bug with it. Our other car (well, my car) is a 2002 BMW 330i sedan. I'm an active member of the BMW forum e46fanatics.com , but am really new to Land Rovers--but I'm excited to start learning more about our car, etc.

Oh, and what’s the best place to buy OEM parts online? Or is there some way to get a discount on parts at the local dealer? BWM has a car club called BMWCCA ($40 year), which entitles all members to 20% off at dealers… Is there an equivalent for Land Rover?

So... I have a few ideas for a bunch of mods that I'm looking to do to the car, and also looking for suggestions, tips etc. I'll start pouring through the forum and looking at past posts etc later tonight... But for now, basic notes of some of the things I’ve ordered / plan to do. Any help / answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated.

So far I’ve ordered (all from the dealer, so OEM parts):
- New floor mats (mine didn’t come with any)
- The stainless exhaust finisher
- Trailer hitch (again, mine didn’t come with any)
- The Freelander clears (I’ve heard they fit the Disco, and I hate amber lights on cars)

These are on my “to-do” list in no particular order…
- Flip up Navigation system to replace the tape deck. (My fiancée is new to Boston, and the roads here make no sense at all, so I’m considering replacing the system with a NAV setup)
- Remove the amber from the tail lights. Looking for an OEM (Euro?) version of the tail lights-that doesn’t have amber in them. The pre-03’s didn’t have amber, but I believe that the rear turn signals were on the bumper though—not sure if those could be retrofit onto an 03+
- The 04 style roof bars—can these be fit onto an 03? I really like how they are thicker.
- I’m considering painting the middle section of the front bumper. I removed the license plate bracket, and you can see a dirty outline of where the plate was before. I’d like to either replace the unpainted black portion, or paint the middle section silver to match the rest of the bumper.
- Brakes. I’ve already ordered high performance low-dust brake pads (AXXIS Ultimate pads), but I’m searching for brake rotors now. I was disappointed to find out that Brembo only makes rear rotors for the car. Can someone recommend another brand (besides OEM).

That’s about all for now. I’ll post some pics of the Disco once I have her cleaned up.

-Steve

Old 05-08-2006, 12:50 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New member with a 2003 Disco II

Concerning the brake rotors: DAP Enterprises sells rotors by DBA (Disc Brakes of Australia) These were the only slotted and drilled rotors I could find for my 99 Disco II. I wanted slotted/drilled because I was going through the stock unvented rear rotors really fast. I also got the braided steel brake lines from them (as a kit with the rotors).

I actually get most of my parts through Rover Connection . Their online ordering is kind of a pain, but they have good prices.

Elliot

Old 05-08-2006, 06:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 136 Likes on 67 Posts
Default RE: New member with a 2003 Disco II

Thanks for the tip on the brakes... I'm going to order some today.