New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New Member - East Texas

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 09:42 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member - East Texas

Howdy - Well this is my first Land Rover and I love it already. I bought a 2000 Discovery II – not sure of the trim level. I have power everything heated seats, two sun/moon roofs, a real nice fake wood trim and no jump seats – so I don’t know what trim it is. The guy I bought it from gave me the owner’s manual to a 97 base model so there is no telling what it is. It has all the normal quirks, spot lights not working, passenger window (has no motor), door locks on driver side not actuating, light ticking noise under the hood (not valves or lifters) and few other odds and ends that are normal for 103K miles on any vehicle. For the better part though it is in great condition. I've been a member to this forum a few days now already and found some great tips and tricks for fixing the bugs and finding others before they pop up.
My family and I love to camp and over the last couple of years because we've grown in number we haven't gotten to do it much. My wife has a ‘05 Outback 2.5XT that is amazing on and off the road but is limited on space. I drive a ‘95 993 Porsche which is limited on space and off-road capabilities. So we (more me) wanted a vehicle that can take us in the “bush” with room to spare. My Disco has the full safari roof rack that can hold all my kids no problem – ‘er the luggage and gear I mean!!
I’ve wanted a LR for years. I watched nature shows as a kid and thought the Series I was the coolest truck ever made. Then I priced the Defender and got cold feet real quick. So I looked at the Discovery or LR3/LR4 whatever you want to call the new ones and decided to go with a used one so I wouldn’t sweat scratches (pin striping) or little dings.
I’m hoping this truck becomes part of the family – which I think it has – my kids are fighting over who is going to get it for their first car. And none of them want the Porsche now – go figure and thank God. My oldest one really thinks she should have it since it is big and safe. The middle one thinks it will be perfect for pulling her horse trailer and the youngest says she gets it because she isn’t scared of bugs and stuff like that.
I’m still waiting for the hammer to drop on this thing. After reading on this forum, the Texas LR forum and the rest of the web, when these trucks go down they go down big. But that is, if they go down. So I look forward to reading up on upgrades and repairs and getting tips on my disco.
What is the best lift kit out there for these? I keep seeing the Old Man Emu lift kit mod on these. I'm trying to determine the best lift amount for a truck that will go offroad on the weekend but still carry me to work during the week. I'm guessing 1.5" lift but I'm not sure if that is enough to make a difference offroad.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:12 PM
Three Wheeling

howdy and welcome,
about the lift kit -old man emu is one of the best quality lift kits in alot of peoples opinion. they make a 2in and 3 in lift for your discovery in light med and heavy duty
the lift will give you more clearence for bigger tires and give you longer suspension travel if your worried that the lift wont be enough, get differential lockers or go bigger
if you go bigger on the lift (above 3 in) then you will probably have to change the trail arms for the axle etc.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:37 PM
Drifting
Talking

Thanks for the heads up. This is my first offroad vehicle so I'm in new territory. Everything before this was "track ready" and not "rock ready" or "mud ready". There is a big difference between going up and going down in height in every way except for price!!

I hate following the crowd on vehicle mods because they begin to look just like everyone else's rides. Hence the reason I bought a Disco. I live in an area of Texas where "Goat Heads", "Bow Ties" and "Ovals" dominate the land scape and all have the same 20" rims and low pro tires on trucks lifted 6" plus. And they all have the "gothic" flames in chrome all over them. You know the trucks that never get offroad but the owner claims they can. The same owners that claim they fought in UFC!!

Not that there is anything wrong with that...

So the offroad stores around here have nothing for LR and act like they know more than anyone and then charge twice for what you can pay online. Good ol' East Texas. So once again just like with the Porsche I cruise the internet and buy online (then go race Mustangs and Cameros).