New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

new from nj

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 07:08 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new from nj

hey, what's up?
I just recently picked up a '98 Discovery (series 1) with about 111,xxx on the clock. It wasn't driven very often by the previous owner, so a short test ride didn't show a whole lot. Once i got home (about a 45 min trip), the radiator spilled pretty good. Wound up having to put a new one in.
Got the truck at a really good price, so i expect to fix a few more things (power steering is real tight at a dead stop, ABS works when it wants to, needs tires, etc).
Nothing's stopping me from driving it now though, and as a first time discovery owner, I really enjoy it.
The only plans i have right now is to fix the few issues, and possibly a small lift. Since i need tires anyway, I'd like to make that decision asap.
I'll be cruising the forum looking for different lift options and details, as well as any other little things i think of.
Also looking to see if there's anyone in the area with a similar truck, or one lifted already i can check out in person.

I do work on a lot of other stuff too (i currently have an '82 BMW 320i, '54 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe, '68 Chrysler 300 Convertible, '84 Honda Aero 125, and a '73 Honda CB750...as well as a hybrid model a/model t project) so if anyone on here gets into any of these other things, feel free to say hi too.
One of the reasons for picking up the rover was the cargo room for car/bike parts as well as antiques. so far, so good.

Thanks, and hope to learn a lot.
-E.J.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Sorry you could not get the rad rodded out. Check the tech section "sticky" at the top of the Disco 1 forum area, lots of things to do for high miles new 2 u Discos. Change oil early and often, grease both drive shafts at oil change, if no zerks rebuild shaft; check fan clutch. DO NOT TRUST TEMP GAUGE. Plug in your data reading code scanner and see what coolant temp really is.

Download the full set of factory manuals for free at link below, it is called the RAVE.

ABS fuse can be removed for diagnostic purposes. Some do without.

Power steering does not use PS fluid, it uses ATF.

Welcome to chaos manor....

Old 10-20-2011, 08:10 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for all the tips! i've been spending the past couple hours reading all through the tech section, as i'm gonna tackle a few things this weekend- oil/filter change, p/s fluid drain/replace, grease anything possible (and look into that shaft rebuild, if needed), and just generally go over everything.
And yea, i even took my rad to a local shop and they said short of re-coring it (for hardly less than the cost of a new one), there was nothing they could do. it was just too far gone.
I've been on the road for a little over a week now, and no other issues have turned up.
only one thing i was wondering, and haven't come across yet in the tech section:
there is a slight play in the drive line. i've heard some people say this is normal for the truck, and some point to an issue with u-joints/driveshafts. any input?
thanks again

Old 10-20-2011, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The usual suspects - U joints, coupler at rear of drive shaft, ... Look at swivel service as well (CV joints). And diff and transfer case service, many step up to 85W140 to quiet the older units. Be sure you can get fill opening to work before draining....