New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New from Ottawa

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 07:53 PM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New from Ottawa

Just picked up my dark blue 2003 Discovery IIa last week. Wish it was a Defender 110 but I'm sure my fellow North Americans all share the frustration at being in the only market where a 2005 Defender sells for more than a Range Rover.

I sold my RSX Type-S to ge the Discovery as I am active in backcountry adventure activities, rock climbing, ice climbing, mountaineering, hiking, camping, etc and while the RSX held the gear and was fun going to the Discovery for winter/backcountry and buying a nice two seater in the spring for around town/fun is just a much better options.

I went with the Discovery because it's a simple mantainable vehicle with advanced off-road features and upgrade potential.

The last few days had me under the truck brushing off rust and rust-painting all the exposed surfaces to try to keep things rust-free for the long-term. I've got an Engel MT-35 sitting downstairs waiting on a slide-lock (seems to be backordered). I've already tinted the windows, installed a Kenwood KVT-717 DVD head unit, Garmin GPS Navigation Module, and Ipod harness and a 1000W inverter.

Some of the planned upgrades (feel free to comment and offer advice) include:

ARB Deluxe Winch Bumper (painted body colour)
Warn XD9000 Winch (wish the TI9.5 fit into the ARB Bumper)
OME HD Suspension with 1.5" lift (removal of stock rear SLS Air Suspension)
OME Steering Damper
Safari Snorkel + Wading Breather Extensions/Diff Plug
Hannibal Roof Rack with Tent (ladder down front to top of bumper)
Dual Jerry Can holder for roof rack
Removable screen in front of radiator to filter coarse materials
Staun Tire Deflators
PIAA 540/550 Lamps on ARB Bumper
African Outback Roller Drawer System
Upgraded front brake calipers
Stainless Steel brake lines
ARB Dual Battery System with 3rd deep cycle industrial battery under rear right corner against bumper
Solar Panel, charging unit with panel mounted on rack tent case or similar out of the way location
Fire extinguisher
Air Compressor
Some kind of auxilary heater for emergency use that does not depend on the engine running (suggestions welcome)

My goal may not be to cross Africa in style (though that would indeed be fun but with the price of just airfare for one, bringing my truck doesn't seem viable ) it is to be able to go from daily driver (mostly in winter, the plan is a Carerra4 for summers but that's next year) to long-distance road-trip vehicle that can go anywhere from I95 to Denali National Park (yes, going to be climbing Mt. McKinley) to Labrador and up the Dempster Highway... though honstly most of my travel will be between Ottawa and Adirondack park in winter (every weekend basically) and out to various ski destinations.. the RSX was nice in the dry but when it got snowy (and it seemed to bizzard every time I took a trip longer than 2h) it had next to zero traction so I'm looking forward to getting the Discovery out this winter.

So, comments, suggestions, and flames welcome

Old 08-14-2006, 08:47 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New from Ottawa

Welcome, sounds like you know what
you need to get where your going.

Have Fun.

Mike