New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New Owner of 1996 Range with blown HG and ???'s

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 05:32 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner of 1996 Range with blown HG and ???'s

Hi to all. I am new to Rovers BUT have been around cars all my life and have modded many of them. Not too long ago I smacked in a deer in a 99 A4 and I need to put it up to fix the body work and paint the girl. I came across a 1996 Rover in almost mint condition and bought it to drive it home. On the way home my dumb @$$ friend allowed it to get so hot that it blew the HG completely and antifreeze was coming out the tail pipe. The vehicle is high mileage but the trans shifts butterly smooth and the body is MINT. It would be a shame to scrap it.

I have few questions. I know the gaskets are popped. I think on just the pass side but if I do it I do it right. I plan on using ARP studs as well. WHat gaskets are the best to use? I have used a lot of Victor Reinz on other stuff with great success and figure either Victor or ElRing. How well does the HG jobs usually last? I don't want to repair it if there is a good chance it will fail again or possibly not fix it. I have heard these engines have issues with the oil pump as well and the pickup though mine had excellent oil pressure.

I just don't want to sink a bunch of money in it if the thing is going to do it again. I guess I am wondering how much the head bolts are the issue and if studs resolves that problem given that everything else is in good shape.

I know the old Toyota Supra 7MGTE and 7MGE had a similiar issue. I know of some people that went into those and would re torque the head bolts but thats not a good idea. I have a found a used engine with lower mileage and thought about removing the head bolts 1 at a time and while it was out insert the ARP stud and tighten it to the factory spec. Once all the studs were in then retorque to the suggested stud spec but at the same time it makes more sense to just go ahead do the HG at the same time. The used engine has an oil light on at idle but it goes away when driving.

I know the HG issue has been covered many times. I have done lots of research but I like asking specific questions and getting other replies.

Thanks