New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New Owner Intro

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 10:51 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner Intro

Hey all,

Just joined the forums after lurking for a few months so figure I should introduce myself. Purchased a 04 Disco II a few months ago. Little over 100k miles, a recently rebuilt engine, zero rust and a relatively clean interior. Previous owner had all the service records and it passed a pre-purchase inspection so all in all, seemed like a good pick up. I've enjoyed it so far and am looking forward to taking some trips with it.

I've already completed most of the high mileage recommendations except a few. I've a Tom Woods front driveshaft ready to install, just waiting on the tool from AB to arrive. Existing front driveshaft had greasable joints up front but not in back. Rear has all the fittings in place so I've left it for now. Also have had to do a few repairs: rebuilt the brake master cylinder and replaced the bleeder bolts and dust caps on all 4 calipers, lower radiator hose started leaking (triggered me to replace hoses + water pump), the right rear hub is leaking so I've ordered the o-ring and a hub assembly + nut and will replace shortly, and some smaller stuff like replacing the fuel door latch. It's also got intermittent three amigos (shuttle valve switch) so I plan to follow the SVS Option B and replace the SVS seals at the same time to hopefully fix that for good. I must have been too tough when removing the heater core hoses because I also broke one of the vacuum lines for SAI which triggered a SES light until I found the break and patched it as a temporary fix. I reset the SES and it hasn't come back so I need to find some tubing as a permanent fix. I've been busy since I purchased it!

Few troubles:
  1. Had zero luck removing the drain bolt for the transfer case so I couldn't change that fluid. The drain bolt overlaps the crossmember about half of the face of the bolt with almost zero clearance between the two. Purchased a 1/2" drive u-joint socket as well as a 1/2" drive socket cap as recommended in a few older threads but neither helped me get it out. Think I'll take it to a shop and just let them do it sometime soon.
  2. I caught the hose leak by hearing the waterfall sound behind the dash. The expansion tank was nearly empty. The leak didn't seem extreme enough to empty the tank so I'm now keeping a close eye on the coolant level when cold to make sure I'm not burning any (hopefully not!). I also need to rebleed the system. My Bearmach was reading ~218F yesterday during highway cruising so I'm assuming I've still got air in the system. The thermostat seems to have bubbles in it that I can't get out either.
Looking forward to learning even more and enjoying this thing as it was intended!