New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New Owner - New Off Roader

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 10:22 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner - New Off Roader

I decided to join this forum after using it to get some ideas already. I bought a 2000 DII last summer and am now in the process of getting it ready to hit some trails (not that it isn't capable stock). I put some new 245/75/r16 Goodyear Duratracks on it after bashing a mailbox this winter with bald Toyos. Bad day. I modified a D1 brush bar I found for nothing and put that on and now am waiting for my 3" OME lift from Lucky 8 to come in. I see that most every Disco owner recommends OME and Lucky 8. I hope the 245/75's won't be too small now. Thanks for all the info in my research already. Happy to be a part of the Rover crowd.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome...

I am going to have to say that those tires are going to look tiny with the 3in OME kit. Which springs did you get?

Also, with just a brush bar on the front its going to be more like 4in lift in the front - FYI.

Either way good luck and put some photos in the gallery.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:25 PM
Drifting

751 Front 763 Rear - I know it will sit that way with just the brush bar but if I'm replacing the suspension why not just do it big now. I plan on a bumper and winch in about 6 months - need to save up the $ first. I assumed the tires would be small looking and I wish I could've gotten the lift before the tires but I didn't expect to get the lift so quick - better tax return than I thought. Oh well. I'll figure something out. Probably sell hem and pick up some 275s. All in good time.
I'm doing the lift this weekend so I'll post some before and after photos then.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Winching

Here are some hints from a how-to I did on the OME kit install on a '03 - which some sizes are a little different from your '00 (Justin's video uses a '00 so follow his).

Here is all of the hints I added to the forum:

1. If you don't have a 18mm speed wrench (ratchet wrench) you might just want to buy one. It makes top/bottom of the shocks on both ends WAY easier.
2. This is also what you will use on the sway bars F/B as well.
3. WD-40 all bolts a few times 30-0min before dismantle.
4. If you don't have a 10-12in extension for the 2 nuts on the bottom of the front tower (each side) you might want to invest in one or you will have to reach from the wheel well and take them 1/8th of a turn at a time.
5. Putting the driver’s side bolt in the steering stabilizer first is the only way I could get the other side on.
6. Make sure you disconnect the ABS sensors before lowering the axle all the way...
7. You have to move the coolant tank out of the way to get the passenger side shock up and out.
8. You have to move the MAF and intake piping out of the way to get the shock up and out of the driver’s side. Mind the A/C and or power steering lines.
9. I had my rack off and WAS able to get the truck back out of my 7ft garage door after the kit was installed. Barely though...

It took about 4hr to do all by myself.
NO air tools used.
The hardest part was aligning the 2 bolts inside the bottom of the front shock.

Remember to take measurements while stock before you do anything…

Old 06-04-2010, 10:48 PM
Drifting

Ha thats funny, I didn't recognize the name but I actually found your list a few days ago in a search! That's some good info man - thanks. I watched Justin's vid a few times now too. I got my fingers crossed I don't run into anything I cant figure out - it looks pretty cut and dry.
I also picked up a D1 CDL shifter with all the linkages and pieces today too. Found it cheap and just couldn't pass it up. (I'm addicted to Craigslist) It doesn't seem to be too difficult from what info I have found. Ever done one of those? I've been trying to find some good info but I guess I'm just not wording my search right.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Jack- Here is a link to the writeup I used to install mine last year: http://www.discovery2.co.uk/diff_lock.html

Old 06-05-2010, 02:15 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
Jack- Here is a link to the writeup I used to install mine last year: http://www.discovery2.co.uk/diff_lock.html
Yep - U.P. has a bunch of good stuff on his site. Also, try discoweb.org, I know there are a bunch of guys on their that have done it.

I have a '04 t-case in my garage and I am searching for the shifter/linkage from an '04 currently so I can't help too much with this one yet. I might just breakdown and buy the ashcroft kit, who knows...

Good Luck man-

Old 06-06-2010, 08:27 PM
Drifting

Thanks for all the tips on the lift install. It went flawlessly. The bolts were all very easy (mostly because its a Colorado truck all its life). We finished it in just under 3 hours. I couldn't be happier with the outcome. 751F/763R 60024F/60025R. Here's my before and after.

Attached Thumbnails New Owner - New Off Roader-106_0073.jpg   New Owner - New Off Roader-106_0078.jpg   New Owner - New Off Roader-106_0075.jpg   New Owner - New Off Roader-106_0080.jpg  

Last edited by jackstraw; 06-06-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:24 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rj95lss
Yep - U.P. has a bunch of good stuff on his site. Also, try discoweb.org, I know there are a bunch of guys on their that have done it.

I have a '04 t-case in my garage and I am searching for the shifter/linkage from an '04 currently so I can't help too much with this one yet. I might just breakdown and buy the ashcroft kit, who knows...

Good Luck man-
dont buy the kit. you can easily find that at a pick and pull

Old 06-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
dont buy the kit. you can easily find that at a pick and pull
I have tried probably 30 junk/salvage yards in IA, WI, MO, and MN and haven't found it. They all have t-cases but NO shifter/linkages for me.

Any advise?

Quick Reply: New Owner - New Off Roader