New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

new rover

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 11:05 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new rover

Just purchasing my first land rover today. 2002 Disco II green. really looking forward to the vehicle. will be for my wife as a daily driver. Any body got any tips for a new owner.?

Old 08-05-2005, 12:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: new rover

welcome to the forum. The first and best suggestion is very simple. Maintianence. The land rover specific is very reliable and safe. to keep it that way. maintain it. I have a 96 disco 130k, i do it better than the book. no major problems. most I fix myself. parts for land rover a not cheap. so problems as they occur. If you have not already got the vehicle, make sure it has the records with it. The owner manual is a must. If it dose not have one they can be gotten at several places. I have spent about 5.ooo on mine over a period of 10 years and that includes brakes and tires. Places to look for common things to look for can be found in the faq section, and the search mode. The most expensive place to do business with is the dealer. Sometimes they are a necessary evil. There is also a list of parts suppliers on the site. others you may find is by doing a general search for land rover parts. do as much of the work yourself as you can. You know it is done right and you become more familiar with the vehicle. some local parts stores carry routine maintainence parts. plugs filter belts that kinda thing. The main parts supply place I use is altlantic british. The run good package specials, reasonable prices and good customer service. I have been doing business with them for almost 10 years. My wife used ours as a daily driver and got a wild hair every once in a while and took it off road. She has never been stranded. tires are a big deal that alot of people don't understand there are two reasons to replace them: one wear, then age. any tire over 4 years old, I replaced no matter what the shape the tires were in. the best is to replace them with the original size. I use an all weather tire and get good mileage, good control, and good wear. Again I am a pain when it comes to maintianence. it is an old wives tale that dry rot only happens on vehicles that have been setting. If you are working with a dealer try to get new ones as a part of the deal. Get an extended warrenty. It will help with peace of mind and pay for itself over the long haul. the 4x4 part is as advertised. the best 4x4byfar. Hope it helps. duboff

Old 08-05-2005, 12:36 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: new rover

Thanks for the info. My wife is going to pick up the Disco today. We have the records on the vehicle and no major work has ever been done, just normal maint.
As a second vehicle it will not have a lot of miles put on it. Of course that's relative I put about 30K a year on my Chevy 2500 Duramax. We are excited because it is going to accomadate teh family but is not a Tahoe, Suburban, or Minivan. Thanks for your help. soon as I can I'll post some pics.