New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New to Rovers...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 01:54 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New to Rovers...

...but not new to twisting wrenches.

Hey everyone!! Well, like I said, I'm new to Rovers. My wife just got a '99 Disco I SD (135k miles). The thing is a pig, but in a good way.

Anywho-- After we got it, it tends to bog down sometimes, rare occasions. Foot on the floor, no power at all, won't downshift, just bogging.

The other thing(s) -- I got 2 codes off my ODBII reader. P1193 - Downstream O2 sensor. Easy enough... But, could the cat on one side be clogged to get that reading? If so, how do I check without ripping the exhaust system apart?

P1177 - Something about the computer not being able to adjust for a rich running condition. Any ideas there? I put some Lucas injector cleaner in with the last tank full of gas. The code still pops up.

Last thing--

If "the pig" is parked on a slight incline, it doesn't like to turn over, or fully start. I have to feather the gas to get the engine to run, then it acts like it's missing on a cylinder. This only happens at or under 1/4 tank of gas. Fuel pump, maybe? Filter?

Last one (I promise) - The Anti Lock light is on, don't know what to check.

I know... helluva intro. And Mods, I apologize for asking tech questions here, so feel free to move where ever it's appropriate. But, my wife likes this thing (used to have an Isuzu Trooper) and I want to keep it as long as possible.

-- DD

Old 06-21-2009, 10:20 PM
3rd Gear

Hello!

I'm new here too! checkin out the 4x4's and stuff. wanting to learn some stuff about the rovers too so if we get one i can work on it and get it perfect.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:15 PM
2nd Gear

Just a thought, your p1193 could possibly be causing the p1177 code,If the O2 sensor is not working. I worked for O'reilly Auto parts for several years and you would be surprised at what codes can be thrown with other stuff not working properly. This is strictly just a thought though.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:14 AM
Drifting

Thanks, Hatter.

I sort of figured that might be the case. The HUGE problem I ran into today was trying to get the old O2 sensor out. The thing didn't move, so I plugged it back in. Any tips for getting the old one out?

Old 06-24-2009, 10:51 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by NM-DiscoDuck
Thanks, Hatter.

I sort of figured that might be the case. The HUGE problem I ran into today was trying to get the old O2 sensor out. The thing didn't move, so I plugged it back in. Any tips for getting the old one out?
rust-off!! IT works

Old 06-25-2009, 02:49 AM
Drifting

I'll look for it. Thanks!

Old 07-25-2009, 08:45 AM
Drifting

yYou may have an injector sticking open, if it is too rich, all the computer does is lessen fuel signals to the injectors, if the injector is stuck open, it will pour fuel into the cylinder until all fuel line pressure is gone. That also explains missing on one cylinder, if there is too much gas, it will not fire. You can use a screwdriver against your injectors to see if they are all "clicking" like small relays.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:10 AM
2nd Gear
Default newbie in midwest.

hey is anyone from the twin cities or milwaukee WI? im in minneapolis right now but adore all major cities in the midwest..

anyone close to me?

-PEACE!