New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Newb in Maine

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013 | 08:58 AM
|
2nd Gear
Default Newb in Maine

I've always wanted a LR. I've got a friend who's the original owner of a '63 IIA that's been sitting long enough to have moss growing in the roof. I'm considering buying it from him if we can agree on a price (he'd got emotional attachments to it so it may be tough).

What things should I be giving "extra scrutiny" to when I go and look at it in more detail?

Bruce

Old 07-11-2013 | 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

Rust, rust, frame rust, and excess production of iron oxide (mo' rust). Take a look at on line catalogs like Rovers North and you'll see parts for oldies are available, but not bargain basement. My neighbor restored an old military one, the small engine will make 50 mph. Not for the expressway. Here is a link to manuals Land Rover Manuals

Old engines that have sat for a long time need some help before trying to turn over. Like remove plugs, penetrating oil in each cylinder, and in about ten minutes add some regular oil (teaspoon). New fuel filter, flush out fuel lines with carb cleaner, drain gunk in fuel tank, oil and filter change. Same with carbs if present. All the underside fluids can have condensation contamination, so if towing home with any wheels on the ground change diff oil. Advise a full trailer. Radiator will need to go to shop for flush and rod out, chemical crud activity takes place 24/7.

Mice may have used wiring harness to gnaw on to keep their teeth sharp.

So I would not try to turn over engine with a jumper cable when you inspect it. If it has not run in years.

Old 07-11-2013 | 01:40 PM
|
2nd Gear

I figured oxides of iron were high on the list :-) and in Maine, the mice need a place to get away from the snow to hide (did I mention it's been outside for the last N years, N>10?).

The frame was/is my greatest "fear" before I even go look at it, but I see one can by new galvanized frames for a few grand :-(. Engine etc don't scare me a bit, but I'm not much of a welder...