New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Noob from Georgia

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob from Georgia

Hello,
I'm new to the forum. I have a 2004 Discovery II and wanted to see if I could learn how to do some of the maintenance/repair work myself. I have downloaded the Rave manual. I have ZERO mechanical experience. I have two questions: 1. Without any experience, am I going to be able to actually work on the vehicle and not tear it up even worse, and 2. If so, what tools do I need to start getting together and where do I get them from.

Thanks

Reza
2004 Dis. II
Georgia

Old 03-15-2012, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Where in Georgia? Tools could be a variety of places, from Harbor Freight, Home Depot, Lowes, auto parts stores, Sears. Will need metric and "american" tools. A torque wrench eventually, but not for initial work. Something with 1/2 and 3/8 drives, perhaps a 1/4 drive for really small things. Between $100 - $200 to start. On sale you can get a pretty decent set for under $100. Add a pair of ramps.

Now what to do with it. You'll want to read our tech sticky area and the high miles or 60K service list. A lot of times we have DIY guys who document things and it is easy to walk their same path.

Pay particular attention to three things. First is the front drive shaft, rebuild info in the tech area, but this would not be a first day project. It is important, as the stock shaft can't be greased, it will snap and take the transmission out ($7000). 2nd is coolant, level should remain the same in the reserve container, no white smoke from tail pipe, no gurgling water fall sounds undere dash, and investigate why any heat gauge that reads above the 50% level. 3rd, re-read the tech sticky about silly oil questions. Rotella 15W40 is fine for your area.

Post questions early and often. Use the search oprion. You actually have a great advantage over the other owners who know everything, worked on sixteen drag race cars, were the crew chief for Awesome Bill from Dawsonville, etc. You will ask questions and research things as you go, not just break things and whine about it because it isn't like what you used to have. It a'int like nothing except a 60's Buick engine glued into a 4500 pound brick. You will either love it or hate it.

One of the best things to do is start with a complete bottom of truck inspection, finding all the leaks, checking fluid levels in things like transfer case and differentials, etc. Before you spend any serious folding money ask for an opinion. In the proper area of the forum. Welcome to chaos manor....

Old 03-16-2012, 07:45 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in Macon, Georgia. Thanks for the great response.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

My home town.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:49 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is that where you live Savannah? Im up in kennesaw... how hard is the prop shaft rebuild? how much time/money?