New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Noob from the PNW

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 12:22 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob from the PNW

Hey All!

I just wanted to join here as I am planning to purchase a LR Disco II soon and figured I better get a headstart on my research. I am new member of the forum but am not new to forums (member of 6speedonline, svtperformance, m3forum.net, T4R and others). I just recently sold my 2000 T4R Limited in mint condition hence my desire for something to replace it.

Currently looking at 2003/2004 Disco's and have found a few on the East Coast that are equipped well with low miles. I'm still tailoring my list of must-haves and adding to my education list of things to check (will probably get a PPI before purchase as well). I am wondering if anyone has purchased a Rover from the Luxury Car Vision Dealer in Jersey? Google didn't yield too many recent results/reviews on Rover purchases.

Thanks for the wealth knowledge on this forum and thanks for having me!

Jared

Old 04-27-2014, 01:01 AM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 276 Likes on 210 Posts

The Discos are prone to breaking down if proper maintenance is not done. Therefore, my advice is not to buy one from an online source without checking out the vehicle yourself or having a trusted and knowledgeable source perform a pre-purchase inspection. In addition, getting an East Coast vehicle is risky especially with salt being used on the winter roads.

There are lots of Discoveries on PNW Craiglist. I also suggest visiting some local Land Rover shops to let them know you are looking for one. They may know of someone who is looking to see... or perhaps may have one to sell themselves.

My recommendation is a 2004 Disco instead of the 2003 Disco. The key difference is the lack of the Central Diff Lock option in the former. The CDL feature will be a godsend when you are off-roading.

Good luck with your search!

Old 04-27-2014, 10:50 AM
6th Gear

Thanks for the helpful tips, ACG!

Old 04-27-2014, 09:53 PM
acg
Pro Wrench

I used to live in Seattle and Portland. Where in the Pacific NW are you located?

Old 04-27-2014, 11:25 PM
6th Gear

Nice! I live in Seattle near I-90 and Lake Washington.

I visited Lamorna Garage yesterday but they were closed. I'm going to stay on the lookout for a '04 Disco and will check it out/get a PPI as well when I'm ready.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:44 PM
acg
Pro Wrench

I used to have a home in the same exact Factoria area where I-90 intersects with I-405. Lived in Seattle for 14 years. Small world!

Old 05-01-2014, 11:54 PM
acg
Pro Wrench

P/S. Here ya go... I've found your baby

2004 Land Rover Discovery G4 Edition

Old 05-02-2014, 06:45 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

very few stock trucks from the NE are going to warrant the $1000 in shipping to get it to the PNW.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:03 AM
6th Gear
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by acg
I used to have a home in the same exact Factoria area where I-90 intersects with I-405. Lived in Seattle for 14 years. Small world!
very nice! I'm still new here so I haven't made the trek up to Canada yet but I do plan to visit Portland in the coming weeks to see some friends and car shows. I have a little trip planned for Kalispell, MO and Yellowstone National Park later this month as well.

Forgot to mention that I owned a 2000 Toy 4-Runner Limited 4WD but I just recently sold it, hence my new search for an LR.

Originally Posted by acg
P/S. Here ya go... I've found your baby

2004 Land Rover Discovery G4 Edition
I have to say that this is quite the business. Much higher than I expected to pay (the few I was browsing at the jersey store are around 10-11K) but then again this is like new with all maintenance performed and seemingly rare.

I'm holding out for an '04 (per your suggestion) and in white. Hopefully I can find one with a grille guard on it already. Thanks for looking out.

Originally Posted by drowssap
very few stock trucks from the NE are going to warrant the $1000 in shipping to get it to the PNW.
Yea, I agree. I thought it would be fun to fly there one-way (about $200 bucks) and plan a nice trek back with a buddy. Being on the upper east coast I worry about corrosion but I had already planned to get a PPI. No rush on my end as the weather has been great here in Seatown for walking plus I have another ride to enjoy.

I'm sure a nice white one will turn up in the PNW at the right time (hopefully like the one below).

Attached Thumbnails Noob from the PNW-xw_640.jpg  

Last edited by Neos281; 05-02-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:18 AM
acg
Pro Wrench

Neos,

Just read your last post about getting a brush guard...

Coincidentally, I am replacing my factory bumper and full wrap-around brush guard with a custom fab bumper. The brush guard was outfitted a few months ago with the headlamp grills which I purchased from BPUtah for $168. I am looking to sell both the brush guard and headlamp grills and will post it up for sale soon.

There are some gems out there in the Pacific NW if you keep looking. For example, I got my Disco for $7400 with 79K miles, full brush guard, running boards, upgraded 7" DVD movie unit, bluetooth, rear cam. PPI checked out great on the vehicle and I have not had any major issues in the past year since I owned her. Good luck with your Disco search!

Attached Thumbnails Noob from the PNW-3e73m13ic5n75k55fed5bb80261beac7c1998.jpg   Noob from the PNW-3g73k53me5ed5f15m6d5bcaa9e7558887198f.jpg  

Quick Reply: Noob from the PNW