New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Noob from the Washington DC area

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob from the Washington DC area

Hello all, I am a soon to be owner of a 2000 Disco II.

This will be my first Land Rover ever and it's all your fault! I've been lurking around this forum (and landroversonly.com, expeditionportal.com and others) for some time, and the information I found helped me make this decision.

My previous car was a '94 VW Golf that I started wrenching on and I also have a couple of bikes (BMW and Ducati) that I also work on, so I'm not afraid of turning a spanner or two.

The bikes will continue to be my daily drivers (60 & 50 MPG in the city ) and I plan to use the Disco as a winter daily-drive and occasional weekends/errands...

My fist plan of action is to go through the Disco as thoroughly as I can and perform the work described in the "Major Service" thread.

Other than that, I checked the OBD codes and there's a P1590 which should involve the ABS (but no ABS Light on) and the rear left air bag (or the line) leaks pretty bad so that will require fixing. Didn't see any significant amount of rust and the engine sounds and looks good. Fingers crossed, knocking on wood, etc...

Old 10-13-2012, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Welcome. Enjoy the RAVE shop and owner manual set, look thru our tech section posts (in particual fron prop shaft rebuild).

Old 10-13-2012, 08:19 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Welcome. Enjoy the RAVE shop and owner manual set, look thru our tech section posts (in particual fron prop shaft rebuild).
Thanks for the info, the sticky thread Write ups, How to's... is a real gold mine!

Old 10-15-2012, 12:12 AM
Three Wheeling

Welcome! I was born in and raised just outside of D.C. - good to see someone here from back east.

I've found the 'How-to's" and the High Mileage checklist have been my lifelines getting everything sorted out on my new Disco - start hitting up that checklist asap.

What kind of bikes you got? I've got a R1100RT, so - along with the Disco - I'm a glutton for punishment.

I've had some dubs, too - just put an old single-round grille up on the wall of the garage today, actually...

Old 10-15-2012, 12:37 PM
Drifting

Ooooh, So-Cal! I'd like to move down there eventually.

I've got an '05 650 GS as my daily rider and weekend dirt/gravel road toy. As for the Ducati: I built it myself (glutton for punishment? same here!): 996 frame, suspension & wheels with a 900 2V engine from a Monster. No fairings, custom 2-2 exhaust that sounds deep yet quiet enough, Magnesium wheels, Keihin carbs and TCIP ignition. Only about 80HP but smooth engine with loads of torque.

As for the Disco, I've cleaned the throttle body and done the induction cleaning with SeaFoam.

Next thing is to figure out what's going on with the rear left air suspension: I've sprayed the bag but didn't find any leaks. I swapped air lines and connectors (L/R) to the distributor to see if it was the problem, but nothing happened. The bag inflated nice and firm, no leaks.... I'm beginning to thing this might be an issue with the height sensor or its wiring...

Once that's taken care of I've got AT fluid + filter to change, tranny, coolant, brakes, and power steering to flush.... Getting to know my new pals at Advance Auto on a first name basis!