New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Project: Hunting Disco by FINlandy

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 12:39 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project: Hunting Disco by FINlandy

Hello.
Signed up to the forum because i just made one of the biggest mistakes of my life Decided to buy a Land Rover!

My old mitsubishi pajero died last hunting season and now i'm starting to look for a new friend to hunt/fish and do daily driving with.
I have always loved the looks of the LR Discovery and now i think it's time for one, even if i know it have it's flaws, but who haven't.
Had several options as M-B G, Pajero mkII Super select, Discovery and Toyota land cruiser HJ61. The choice of mine was made this time with my heart not my brain

So, now i have to start looking for a car and i might need some help along the road.

The plan is to buy a disco and start to make some modifications. It would be mainly used for hunting trips but it has to be good as a second car for the road also. Now i already know that: it will be a diesel, that i will install air lockers or TT's. i will make some modest lift and put bigger tires on. It has to run good on roads so i dont want to make any monster off road beast.

What would be the right choice Disco 1 or 2? The CDL is must of course but how about the traction control thing? I also like automatic gears but which would be better AT or manual? Is there anything else i need to think about when selecting the right disco for me?

Old 05-13-2013, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

D2 has habit of splitting stock front drive shaft, oem model does not have grease fittings on all joints. Update shaft or rebuild. Un-touched and it can thrash the tranny and make hole in the case.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:51 AM
6th Gear

Still in pursuit for a disco2. I have two options on a 2004 disco with the cdl and linkage factory fitted. One thing about those is the facelift bumper. As i am going to fit a discreete winch someday i was wondering is there any discreet winch mounting kits available for this facelift bumper? Or would the older bumper fit straight on instead of the facelift model?

Yesterday i was looking at two discoverys. Both had the same problems and i am wondering is it an easy fix

the first was 1999 and 2nd 2000 model.

Oil leak probably from the rear of the engine and also from the center differential.
The other thing was bubbleing in the power steering fluid container.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:58 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

what is in the 04 a TD5 engine or a transit engine?

Old 08-29-2013, 10:16 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by drowssap
what is in the 04 a TD5 engine or a transit engine?
That is td5 engine. Also there is the option of buying a 01 to 03 model and fit it with ashcroft differential but only if it would be a very good unit at the right price.
How about those bubbles in the steeringfluid? Both sellers claim that they never had to top up any fluid. In that case it maybe suck air into the system somewhere.

Last edited by FINlandy; 08-29-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

imo 04 is the better choice (model wise)especially with td5. 01 easy ashcroft or other cdl 03 not so much

Old 08-29-2013, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

depends on what your are hunting for in Scandanavia....

\

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 08-29-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:08 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

does the 04 have ACE on it, that could explain the extra noise from the pump?

Old 08-30-2013, 07:35 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by dusty1
imo 04 is the better choice (model wise)especially with td5. 01 easy ashcroft or other cdl 03 not so much
This was what i had in mind if i would find a 01-03 model for a reasonable price. Quite much work thou.

I would like the 04 better if i would find a discrete way to fit a winch.

This is how i like the winch installation but if i buy a 2004 model i doubt i can fit it that tidy www.discovery2.co.uk / T-Max Winch

does the 04 have ACE on it, that could explain the extra noise from the pump?
noise? hmmm.. do you mean the bubles i the steering fluid reservoir?

Old 08-30-2013, 07:44 AM
6th Gear

Missing link from previous post. wasn't able to edit.

Ashcroft Transmissions - CDL Update Kit

Quick Reply: Project: Hunting Disco by FINlandy