New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Prospecting rover owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 07:42 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Prospecting rover owner

I am looking at a 2000 discovery 2 with 89k miles on it, its even selling for 1000 dollars ehich i might be able to haggle down. All around i love this model of rover but it is definitely not in perfect condition.

the car starts but wont idle, i found if i partially plug the intake the car will stay on and seem to run decent. i traced it back to the idle air control valve which im pretty sure is the issue since if i restrict that pipe the car idles. so like a 25 to 200 fix maybe just a cleaning. I did not show the dealer

if that were the only problem i would have taken it right there buuuuuuuut i also found several warning lights which after a little research i found out are the three amigos.
On top of that only one window works, only the two back door locks work, front and rear bumper cracks, there were at least 2 broken windows which may have been left broken because there is an abandoned wasp nest under the seat, the fuel door latch is broken, the back tailgate worked but i shut it again and now its stuck. lastly the 4 wheel drive wont engage without beeping and showing two gears with an x over them.

i know im not supposed to post technical problems here but i really need a second opinion on this one and you guys seem to know what kind of money goes into fixing these beasts. im no stranger to working on cars, i just want to know if you guys think its worth it because i just dont know

Old 03-22-2018, 11:32 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

I would haggle down and YOU should expect to spend a chunk of change fixing issues known and unknown.

I would say:
check head gaskets
do a compression test

Old 03-22-2018, 01:02 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If there is a wasp nest that means the windows have been down for a extended period of time. Windows down means water and waters and rovers don't go well together. I started with the d2 bug but ended up with a LR3. The trade really is more gizmos which can fault and is annoying but you can live with. Vs with the d2 worrying about prop shafts going through your transmission and head gasket issues. I can replace a height sensor in my driveway. Head gaskets? Not so much.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:02 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Might want to take a look under her skirt for the old rusting frame rails. Rusty frame means shop elsewhere.

No sense going down that road along with all the other broken items.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

The rover is always in 4X4 mode, the lever you are pushing forward is the hi-lo shifter. It has a neutral position between the hi and lo, the beeping and gear with X means the transfer case is in neutral. Don't force it, if it seems like it wants to bind...you'll be sorry...lube the living daylights out of the cable and shifter from underneath and keep working it back and forth slowly. Also, you have to be rolling and transmission in neutral to move the hi-lo shifter, forward or backwards.

Yes, check the frame for rust and if that is good...most of what you listed is normal stuff for a eighteen year old rover. The outer rear door latch probably needs lubed, that's all mine needed. Other issues can be corrected over time, there amigos, etc, etc. If you are mechanically inclined, you should be alright. You can come here for all sorts of issue and folks will walk you through repairs.

Brian.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:59 PM
Three Wheeling

wow frame rails, i thought i was thorough but i did not think to check those. ill do some research on compression tests, i dont know how to do that so maybe its something i can deduce from it running or maybe rent a tool?

thank you guys for all the advice im going in tomorrow so ill update you on the details, hopefully im here to stay!

Old 03-22-2018, 10:09 PM
Three Wheeling

Alright that actually sounds pretty simple besides the fact theres 8 cylinders... Definitely feel more confident about looking at it, you guys are awesome!

Old 03-25-2018, 08:46 PM
Three Wheeling

update, got the rover for 900 and after detailing it the car looks pristine with only a quarter sized hole in the drivers seat. i have begun my rover life, hopefully it goes well

Old 03-29-2018, 10:01 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Like they say..."pictures or it didn't happen".

Congrats, hope she treats you well.

Brian.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

start reading the repair manuals, congrats

Quick Reply: Prospecting rover owner