New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Questioning My Sanity... 92 Range Rover County SWB

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 04:04 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questioning My Sanity... 92 Range Rover County SWB

I have been looking at buying a very clean 92 Range Rover County.

Perhaps I have gone insane??

This is a year before the infamous "air ride nightmare" that plagues all forums I have read, so the suspension is a great bonus over the following few years. The rig is known to be a workhorse, but in most forumsis either loved with a passion akin to a Buxom Swedish Bikini Team Member...or hated with a depth so low as to make one cross the street in traffic rather than get near one on the road...

When I see two such polarized positions, I have a tendancy to draw a line in the middle somewhere...

I saw that this vehicle was originally base priced at $45K plus the options of BelugaBlack and the County options of leather and sunroof, etc...etc....etc... Lets call it $45,500 to be conservative. Only just over 3000 were ever made, andvery few with all these options.

So now, the original owner wants to sell, to get a bigger truck he can haul things in...

Mileage is 120K and the vehicle appears straight and clean enough to park in your front room...I mean not a dent.

So today, 15 years later, this rig is booking out between $2500, and $5000 bucks. I guess...you could consider that a freefalling value plummet.

I am at this point unclear how far the value will fall. Do you think it has hit the bottom?

Lets review:

Original Price: $45,500

Current Price: $3800

That is a loss of value totalling $41,700 bucks from the time of ownership until today.

That means, this rig has lost $2780 in value every year.

That is a loss in value of every days driving of $7.62

Consider that this rig has been losing $0.32 cents an hour for every hour it has existed...

WHEN WILL IT END???

At this rate, the vehicle would be worthless in less than 2 years...

Is it worth a few grand to drive this thing a while? Am I in for a world of nightmares? Should I forget the whole idea? HAVE I LOST MY MIND to think Im getting a good deal here?

What do you think???

ALASKAN~

Old 02-16-2007, 02:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Questioning My Sanity... 92 Range Rover County SWB

You are over-analyzing the reasons of why the value is what it is. The Range Rover Classic (pre- air suspension. but with sway bars) is a model with a lot of affection attached for those in the know. And yes --- I have a Black 1991 with 140K on the clock, and love the thing ---but then I'm in the business. Maybe they will bottom at $2K , but who cares?. Find one with service records that show a previous owner dumped a ton of money into it before giving up in frustration. Then-- live with the little things like slight fluid leaks,driveline backlash noise, and 15mpg ---and drive it through and over anything.

regards,
Geoman

www.eurotekapg.com

Old 02-16-2007, 03:10 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Questioning My Sanity... 92 Range Rover County SWB

The value of the vehicle is not totally based on the truck but more so on problems Rover has been having especially while being owned by Ford.
The truck is a great vehicle, will give you many years of service and will take you places you wouldn't have thought it could.
Yes as Rover owners, we arew all some what concerned by the book values, but all that set aside, they are good trucks with a few English bugs thrown in for good measure.
Buy the truck and don't look back.
Mike