New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Returning Disco Owner, Worried about LPG

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 05:20 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Returning Disco Owner, Worried about LPG

Hi,
a few years ago i purchased a Disco 2. but unfortunatly had to sell it due to change in job.

im now looking to get another disco but i really want LPG as i drive over 130 miles /day.

does anyone have any experiences with this, know what to look out for, or any common faults??

it'll prob be a early Disco 1 (1994-96) but im not too familiar with it, when was the interior changed on the early discos??

many thanks guys

Old 03-27-2007, 07:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Returning Disco Owner, Worried about LPG

I guess it depends on how much propane is where you are-- but I've just gone through a project in trying to justify fitting dual-fuel conversion kits here in California, as many of our Land Rover customers are parking--or selling-- there vehicles rather than suffer under the high fuel costs. As it turns out here--- the vehicle must be a 1995 or older to legally fit such a kit. The sequential injection kits out of the UK would cost about $1500-2000 to install, and the deal killer is.............propane here is $3.25 (a gallon equiv).

So there is no gain over using gasoline. In fact, it ends up costing more as the energy in propane is less than gasoline, so you end up consuming more per mile traveled. The only advantage (Other than a cleaner running engine) that propane can offer is when the product is priced considerably less than gasoline.

If your inquiry comes from outside of the States, I'd say you were onto something despite everything I've said here. The only caution is that I found out the early systems that introduced the vapor at the throttle body are inefficient. And-- to really optimize things when running under propane, you should have a different computer to run the ignition at a different timing value --- as propane allows more advance in the timing-- and hence, power.

regards,

Geoman
www.eurotekapg.com