New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Signing in from Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 10:10 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Signing in from Tahoe

Recently picked up a 99 Disco II, about 87k on it, and it came with a decent sized pile of repair and maintenance records.

So here we go!!

Old 11-21-2012, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome, hope you have been reading our forum. D2 comes with a front prop shaft that does not have enough grease fittings. It can snap with little warning and poke hole in tranny. Consider rebuild or replace, rebuild DIY article in our tech section. Heat gauge in your truck is not real accurate. Don't trust it above 50%. Consider a scanner or Ultra Gauge, so you can keep an eye on temps. All the factory shop manual is in the download called the RAVE.

Attached Thumbnails Signing in from Tahoe-pittsburgh-20120905-00034.jpg  
Old 11-21-2012, 09:03 AM
4wd Low

I have been reading, and enjoying.

Front prop was already redone, head gaskets have been redone. I already grabbed the RAVE (is there a location for a more Mac friendly download?). And there's an Ultragauge ordered (any recommended configs)?

I've fixed some front lighting issues and swapped in a new tensioner pulley to get rid of a persistent, annoying squeak. Pulled the center interior light out and it has had a hard life.. all the connections had been yanked off. Started to solder it back up but first checked the switch... it's history. A replacement is on it's way.

There's one thing I can't figure out right now.. the driver side mirror. Glass is good, motor works but something has become detached in the assembly, it slides up the pivot point. It won't actually change position at highway speeds but it bounces and wobbles enough to warrant attention. The RAVE stops with removal of the assembly. How do I get inside of it? I don't really want to swap it out since everything else is fine. Hmmm.

thanks for the welcome!

Old 11-21-2012, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

the Land Rover Manuals site lets you just take the parts you need.

Rover considers the mirror a single part. There are guys on here, like Paul Grant, who are dismantlers. They buy them, part them out, sell the decent stuff, and recycle the rest. Dismantlers are a great source, it is like having a a private partz vulture that can find a good used one an ship it to you.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:29 PM
4wd Low

Thanks Savannah Buzz, I appreciate it.

It's a bummer about the mirror tho.. everything else works fine, just seems like it popped a retaining clip or something.