New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Still looking at buying

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 02:51 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still looking at buying

I joined the forum a few years ago, we ended up buying a Jeep Wagoneer. We love it but it is tired and is ready for replacement. I have been reading about the disco II and like most of what I read. What is the deal with the AWD? Is it fairly capable? The Waggy is unstoppable in the Michigan snow and anything else I throw at it, I am hoping the Disco will do the same. I am looking at around the 5k range, can I get a good unit for that or should I be looking at the Disco I, thanks in advance!

Old 06-29-2010, 03:10 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In the $5K range you should be able to find a solid DI or DII, just have to find the right seller.

Disco's have full-time 4WD as opposed to AWD. I have an '02 DII (no CDL) and have never had a problem in snow/ice as the electronic traction control works well, but I felt like my previous Rover ('96 DI) handled those conditions better. The DII is a more comfortable ride, but the electronics can be finicky.

Test drive as many as you can and see which one you like better, although they look similar, the differences will surprise you. Either way, I think you'll be very impressed with the stock capabilities of a Disco.

Good luck, keep us posted,

Old 06-29-2010, 06:59 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

All Land Rovers are FULL TIME FOUR WHEEL DRIVE NOT ALL WHEEL DRIVE.
There is a HUGE difference.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:21 PM
7th Gear

I'm sorry, my mistake, I had read somewhere that they were AWD, I was apparently misinformed. My jeep has a full time case in it and I love it. Do the Discos have a lo range? I am just trying to get an idea of the way the 4wd functions on these. My case has 4 hi, 4lo and 2hi. It's an NP229 with a viscous coupler to provide the ability to use it in 4 hi on dry pavement. When in 4lo it is locked. Does the Disco work at all similar to this? Sorry you have to answer all these questions from a soon to be Jeep convert.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:30 PM
Team Owner

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=26352

That will answer alot of your questions.

The DII transfer case is a hi-lo case, there is NO 2 wheel drive setting, it is 4x4 all the time not a part time 4x4 like your Jeep.
Depending on the DII you get you can lock the transfer case in hi or lo.
On a DI all of them has this ability but it was removed on the DII's because their target market did not take the truck off road.
The 1999 DII to early 2001 have the option to lock the CDL (center locking differential) with modification but late 2001-2003 DII's do NOT have this option because it was removed completly.
The 2004 DII has the CDL in the truck and can be locked in hi or lo range.

AWD uses clutches to drive all 4 wheels and the power ratio is usually 60/40 with 60% of the power going to the front wheels and the rest going to the back unless there is wheel spin then the computer locks/releases the clutches to move power around to the wheels that are not spinning.
On a full time 4x4 there are no clutches, all gears.
Once the power leaves the transmission it is all gears all the way just like a farm tractor.
Solid, heavy, noisy reliable gears.
A part time 4x4 also uses a clutch to engage the 4x4 to the transmission but once engaged it is all gears.
Thats how you can shift on the fly, throw the lever or push the button and the computer takes over and engages the clutch in the t-case as well as the front differential because there are free wheeling hubs on the front axle so that when you are in 2 wheel drive mode the front axle is free wheeling, in other words it is completely disconnected from the rest of the drive line, this helps save on wear and tear and increase mpg.
The front driveshaft wont even move when in 2 wheel drive mode.
On a LR both drive shafts turn all the time.

The DII has traction control and that uses the ABS system to stop a spinning wheel.

This is a old Land Rover in this video, I mean from the 60's, no traction control, just full time 4x4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGZM1RFdWS0

Old 06-30-2010, 06:45 PM
Overlanding

Bought my dream car today a 2002 Discovery SE. It has just over 80k and cost me just $6,800 after talking down the owner who had to sell because they were moving cross country. They were asking $7,300, but it list much higher than that. All in all I think I got a great deal on a fantastic machine. It's all white with large brush guard’s front & back with large Land Rover fog lights up front I will post a pic sometime this week.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:21 PM
7th Gear

The full size jeeps, such as mine, are in fact full-time 4wd. A full time case only means it can be driven in 4wd all the time with no damage. It has nothing to do with whether or not you have a 2hi option. That being said. Thanks for all the info. It is greatly appreciated and I look to be buying very soon.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:38 PM
Team Owner

Ok, sorry I dont know to much about the Jeep t-case.
But the LR t-case is a true full time t-case, there is NO 2 wheel drive option.
4 hi and 4 lo, thats it, nothing more nothing less.