New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Vibration and steering wheel shudder.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 02:05 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration and steering wheel shudder.

Trying to give a little info but not sure I've come to the right place. I experienced a vibration on the motorway which got progressively worse until I turned off and on the exit slip when the brakes were engaged quite a violent shake was experienced in the steering wheel. I stuck to 40 mph for the next 5 minutes and made it home. I looked on the forum and this appears to be a common occurance although nobody seems to come up with a difinitive answer and my experience may or may not help. Next day I jacked up the front of my lr3 ( 2008 base model with SPRINGS and 120,000 miles on the clock) took off the front wheels one by one an all seemed to be OK until I got to the passenger side upper slide pin with small dust bellows, the thing you have to put a 17 mil spanner on to stop it spinning when removing the caliper carrier, it was more than siezed I had to knock it out with a drift and steel mallet. Once cleaned and lubed with copper grease everything was reassembled. Hey presto, no more vibration no more shaking no more swearing. There was no giveaway blue heat tint on the disc so I believe I caught it in time without warping. New pads installed about 4000 miles back so maybe the pin wasn't given any attention but the other 3 were fine. Hope this helps someone out there it's always good to fix something for free for a change.