New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Wanted: Opinions on a RR HSE Sport

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 12:54 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanted: Opinions on a RR HSE Sport

Hi Guys. I want to get some opinions on purchasing a RR HSE. My predicament is that my wife is expecting our first baby and she wants an SUV. I've never been a big SUV fan, but she won't drive her E55 once the baby arrives..she doesn't feel safe. Anyway, I have a friend that has an '05 RR and the thing spends more time in the shop than in his driveway (literally). One minute he curses the truck up and down, the next he says nothing runs and drives nicer (when it actually does run) and in all likely hood get another one. I've heard they are all trouble, which is why you see so many low mile used ones around. I think as far as an SUV goes, it's a kick *** looking vehicle, I just don't want to buy something that we wind up driving a loaner more than our vehicle.

Long story short, what are your experiences with this truck? I'm curious to know if everyone experiences problems, or if there are good ones out there, not just lemons. Thanks in advance from a potential RR owner.

Steve

Old 09-14-2006, 04:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Wanted: Opinions on a RR HSE Sport

To answer your question, yes there are some Range Rovers out there that are much more reliable than others. The P38 (1995-2002) has had numerous problems over the years, but IF maintained properly the basic reliability is good. The biggest thing is to not fall into the trap of buying one strictly on its physical appearence. When I was a service manager at a independent Land Rover shop, we often had people coming in with their new acquisition that they were so proud of-- only to find out it needed major work to avoid a disasterous failure. DON'T even think of buying one without records. That means steer away from used car lots and friends that "know a wholesaler who can get you a great deal at the auction".

Read my tech information pages at www.eurotekapg.com to give you some pointers on what to look for when you check out vehicles.

Regards,

Geoman
eurotek apg

Old 09-17-2006, 12:03 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wanted: Opinions on a RR HSE Sport

I appreciate the info. I don't know that I really want to buy a used one (someone else's headache), but my friend who has the 05 RR got his new, and has had nothing but electrical demons with it since he's had it, which seems to be (and has always been) a common element with all British vehicles. I know buying a new one won't absolve me from any future problems with one, but I guess what I'm trying to find are owners of new RRs that have had a fairly trouble free ownership experience, which so far, hasn't been the case!