New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Who is everyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 07:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who is everyone?

as long as I don't mess anything up on my land rover, i'm down to go off road anywhere. i'll try to talk my dad to take his LR3 also.
[sm=burnout.gif]

Old 12-17-2005, 10:26 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will move this subject to trip sec.
And 05 no one sets out to mess things up,its called character all truck have
a little.

Old 12-17-2005, 02:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle

please, call me james

lol

Old 01-08-2006, 12:39 AM
Mudding

I heard that

Old 01-25-2006, 10:52 AM
Rock Crawling

All this talk of Texas again... sigh... [8D]

Another UK member from the capital city Edinburgh.

Not been around much recently, due to birth and growing of twins... (they are already showing an interest in the 90... )

An architect by trade, been using Landies for far to long, as I was brought up on a Yorkshire farm, and our mode of transport was a string of Series Landies, so instilled into my blood, but admittidly it is the rough and ready utilities I drive, rather than the soft, plush toys that most of you seem to drive...

Old 01-25-2006, 10:53 AM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: Randy Lover

we found rossleigh is quite good, the staff are freindly and that and they have a nice "rockery" outside
Isn't Rossliegh, Reg Vardy's in disguise...

Old 01-25-2006, 01:21 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would be nice to have a 90 or 110 here in Texas. Land Rover stopped
sending them in 1997 for the 90 and 93 for the 110.
We would have them for a very long time no rain no rust!!

Old 01-27-2006, 11:42 PM
Rock Crawling

Hello I'm Jarell nickname Bob for my late dog. I'm 19 yrs old and I go to ohlone college in Fremont ,California just south of San Francisco.

Old 02-24-2006, 10:36 PM
2nd Gear

Hey Gang...I'm new here...not new to forums for cars and other stuff though.

Expect a lot of questions...and not a lot of useful info out of me for a while.

Old 03-24-2006, 08:36 PM
Drifting
Default Welcome Back!

Hi, I'm justfred and I'm a long-term Rover addict. ("Hi, Fred!") I started with a 1970 88" which I fully restored then sold because it was too small; went through a magazine-star 109 with a Chevy 6, and a wonderful RHD beater 109 from South Africa. In the process of trying to get a 101, I stumbled across the Pinzgauer, and now I own one, and its little brother the Haflinger.

Day before yesterday I said goodby to my faithful 1997 Disco I, with 180,000 hard miles. The guy who bought it for his wife and her kids doesn't deserve it and never plans to take it offroad, but he did pay cash.

That night I got a call from the dealer and went to test drive - don't hate me - the new Toyota FJ Cruiser. I saw it at the auto show, and put a deposit down, and have been really active on their forum ( http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/ ). I once wanted to be an automotive designer, and this thing looks really great. I predict they'll sell a fair amount of them before the product liability lawsuit hits. But I'm getting ahead of myself. My salesdude was annoying as hell, and I didn't get to drive the truck, only sit in it, inside their parking structure. Long story short, I hated it. The visibility was awful, nearly as bad as the H3 (I tried even though I knew I couldn't stand it). The front window is WAY out front, and though the hood is short you still can't see where it ends, and the brow is even lower than the DI, you'll have to bend down to see traffic lights. The side windows are tiny (I was used to a Disco, after all), the rear quarter viz is blocked by a huge unnecessary C-pillar, and the rear viz isn't there at all. You can't see the road - or worse, the off-road around you. You need a camera (that's not there) to back up or parallel park. The thing is literally an accident waiting to happen. If you see one on the road, take a good look from two lanes over, and stay out of the blind spot which is pretty much the entire area around the vehicle.

Then there's the back doors. I have a lot of gear and my finace is a costumer so she has even more gear. The back doors in the FJ won't open unless the front doors are open, like the Element. And even then the front seat doesn't tilt forward, and the rear passenger area feels exactly like you're in the back of a Cessna. A nice new shiny Cessna, but.

Offroad, the FJ will probably be awesome and we'll have some explaining to do how our Rovers are still superior. This will be easier when we're tow-strapping them out when they drive into ditches that they didn't see were there. And the truck really does look great, really chunky and hearty, not at all Jeep-like. The "bling" is optional - they have factory rock rails and roof rack that aren't bad, and the towing cap is around that of the Disco, in fact the 4L V6 is probably as powerful as the Disco's V8, and gets a lot better mileage (17-20ish). There's a lot of features aimed at the 4WD market, you'll be seeing a lot of them until the accident reports start rolling in.

So, back to the internet. My other choices were a Freelander SE3, or a VW Touareg. Two of the very worst vehicles on the road as far as Consumer Reports Reliability Index goes. There was a VWT I liked, but it was $35K used. Found a dealer here in LA with a new FLSE3 (two, actually!) for cheap, so I went down to check it out. It still doesn't fit me. I'm 6' (~250lbs stocky) and I bang my head getting in and out, and if I lean forward or to the side while in the driver's seat. I like the truck other than that and the hangdown rear muffler, which is replaceable. But if I can't sit in it...

But, in the showroom they had a 2002 Disco II "Borrego Edition" with 35K on the clock and the certified warranty for a good price, a lot less than I was going to pay for the FJ. If all goes well I'll pick it up tonight. I haven't been able to find "Borrego Edition" on the net but it's yellow with a black bonnet glareshield, rock rails, ladder but no roof rack, tow package, light protectors, leather/technical fabric. I'm adding meaty floor mats, maybe eventually a roof rack.

Anyhow, hello!

[IMG]local://upfiles/2539/4995B5087B0D4751A6794A3EE5D78593.jpg[/IMG]