Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Another season complete and I'm off on another - Dutch Harbor

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 10:50 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Talking Another season complete and I'm off on another - Dutch Harbor

I just completed my second contract with Icicle Seafood's; at the Seward, Alaska land based processing plant. Did not meet my financial goals but nevertheless Im still making progress with my truck. As some of you know my Turner block is paid in full and has been delivered to the shop where it will be installed in my truck. Still need alot more money to fund my road trip and permanent relocation to Alaska so I took on a new contract with a bigger company "American Seafood's and this time I'll be on board a Catcher Processing ship. I finished orientation today in Seattle Washington and boarded Katie Ann. We depart sometime tomorrow for a 5 day steam to Dutch Harbor Alaska. We will be working out on the open seas fishing for Yellowfin Sole and Cod. Out ship launches a net into the water and captures large schools of fish then large gears on board roll the nets full of fish back up on board and we process and freeze the fish immediately. Once our ship is full we offload at Dutch Harbor than head back out. I'm told we will do 9 trips and will be working up there until December. Once we complete this contract our ship will dock in Dutch and American Seafood's will pay for our flights from the Aleutian Islands to Anchorage than to Seattle. Pay on board this vessel is in the form of shares. Every crew member gets a percentage of the profits from each trip. I think for me I get 4.5 percentage of the shared profits. Our total crew size for this trip is about 70 people. If I make enough money during this contract than I will be returning to New Hampshire in late December, take a few months to relax and spend time with family, than begin my road trip back to Alaska, but in my Discovery. By then everything I want to do to the truck for the trip will be done and she will be flying in all colors. Limited internet usage on the ship so Ill be gone for awhile. Wish me luck. Hope you all keep things alive and keep those Rovers running strong. One live life it!

Name:  DSC_0076_zpshn3tsoaw.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  218.3 KB

Name:  DSC_0079_zpsnluujvtg.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  193.0 KB

Name:  DSC_0091_zpshlppzl8l.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  167.5 KB

Name:  DSC_0086_zpsvpw4b3c7.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  250.4 KB
Name:  DSC_0083_zpse9qockvq.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  195.1 KB

Name:  DSC_0084_zps8iaujpjt.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  340.7 KB

Name:  DSC_0090_zpsruianqs1.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  181.4 KB

Mt Rainier in the far distance
Name:  DSC_0089_zpslekgpklz.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  162.5 KB

Name:  DSC_0065%20-%20Copy_zpsqkglsvnz.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  138.5 KB

Name:  DSC_0067_zpsoiswtkia.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  294.4 KB

Name:  DSC_0068_zps0hzaj6jk.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  191.4 KB

Old 09-09-2015, 12:05 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

How long till you're Wild Bill's newest greenhorn on Deadliest Catch?

Old 09-09-2015, 05:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Dude! you're in my neck of the woods. Drop me a line if you want to grab lunch/coffee/beer or come over to the house to kick land rovers.

You took the pic of the space needle from Belltown, in the parking lot right by my old office.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:55 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
Dude! you're in my neck of the woods. Drop me a line if you want to grab lunch/coffee/beer or come over to the house to kick land rovers.

You took the pic of the space needle from Belltown, in the parking lot right by my old office.
Firstly processing fish is very different than processing King Crab. Getting a job aboard any processor ship is much much easier than trying to get a jon aboard a fishing vessel and even harder to get on a crab fishing boat. Honestly I don't think I have the strength to do crab fishing. I'm what? 5 feet 2 inches and weight roughly 145? Those crab pots weight near 900 lbs I believe and the fish and hair combination they use inside the pots probably weights 40-60lbs and your expected to jump in and attach it and get back out so dam whickly, all night for weeks on end. Fish are justaot easier to work with. But that word be funny to work on one of their boats haha

Robert Booth I return from Dutch in December give or take. My Rover is back in NH waiting for me but if you'd like to meet up and show me your rovers when I get back to Seattle than I would like that. Always happy to make new friends and meet new people who share my passion for these vehicles.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Firstly processing fish is very different than processing King Crab. Getting a job aboard any processor ship is much much easier than trying to get a jon aboard a fishing vessel and even harder to get on a crab fishing boat. Honestly I don't think I have the strength to do crab fishing. I'm what? 5 feet 2 inches and weight roughly 145? Those crab pots weight near 900 lbs I believe and the fish and hair combination they use inside the pots probably weights 40-60lbs and your expected to jump in and attach it and get back out so dam whickly, all night for weeks on end. Fish are justaot easier to work with. But that word be funny to work on one of their boats haha

Robert Booth I return from Dutch in December give or take. My Rover is back in NH waiting for me but if you'd like to meet up and show me your rovers when I get back to Seattle than I would like that. Always happy to make new friends and meet new people who share my passion for these vehicles.
Sounds good , I'll send you a pm on here with my number. Want me to keep a look out for a rust free west coast black on black d2 still or has that ship sailed ?