Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Anyone own a Sprinter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 12:10 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Anyone own a Sprinter?

Ive been looking at Dodge Sprinter cargo vans for afew months now. They are growing on me, more so with the diesel engine. As some of you know I live the nomad lifestyle and my D2 is on its deathbed so Im laying all options on the table. Have any of you guys owned a Sprinter? How are they as a daily driver? How does their reliability compare to domestic cargo vans and what kind of MPG can I expect?

Old 12-30-2017, 12:47 AM
TReK

The remanufactured block has failed me abruptly. Probably need top end rebuild and new flex plate. Seems fate is guiding me in a new direction in life. I think this is definitely the end of the road for me and Land Rover. I will always love the unique styling and capabilities of the Discovery 1 & 2 models. But their engines are complete rubbish. It matters not how much money you sink into these engines, or how well you maintain them. they will fail. It not from slipped liners and cracked blocks then from premature oil pump failures and failed gaskets.

I look forward to a new exciting journey with Sprinter. From what I hear their diesel engines are nearly bulletproof and clock 300k easily.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:26 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The sprinter can have its own set of problems. You are showing pictures of the later model 4 wheel drive variant that is not available stateside. I believe I saw where you were looking at a high mileage early generation model that was completed/final assembly in SC. This early gen was supposed to be better than the later ones which were plagued but mandated exhaust/egr systems issues as with many diesels here in the US. With the higher mileage; you need to inspect the mechanical systems for wear and neglect. Make sure you have history and competent service options available.

Sorry to hear about the D2. I guess the shop was able to get it in and has found the potential issues. Sounds like 2 unrelated faults but sometimes the unfortunate occurrences can help us realign our own path.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:50 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

TRIAR11, I have a courier pal who has two Merc Sprinters, both RWD vans and both diesels. He sometimes has issues but very few considering he puts 2K+ miles per week on them and only basic maintenance (he's a lazy SOB). Admittedly they would make ideal motor homes if converted but they aren't FWD's. He peddles them back and forth to the UK weekly often with heavy loads.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by alpinacsi
....... pictures of the later model 4 wheel drive variant that is not available stateside........
They are available stateside. either 2017 or 2018 models

Sprinters are decent. I work on them. They don't like to be idled, all day. Dosing valve clogs quickly. We more see problems with the Adblue system and the Oil cooler seals leaking (middle of the V, under the intakes. Not a DIY job unless you got tools and space to work.)

For the nomad lifestyle, it'll work well. just stay on top of the maintanence..

Old 01-24-2018, 03:10 PM
TReK

Yeah the only real downside I can see with the Sprinter is the 2wd. I'm hoping to get my hands on either a 144 or a 170 wheel base, cargo with no windows and high top with the face-lift (2007+?) and the turbo diesel. Probably going to finance when I find the right one. Don't really want to go above $12,000 so no way will I be able to afford one of the 4x4 versions.