Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Buckhorn_imports in eBay bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Detoured Discovey
Ugh.....I hate to contribute to this, but as a vendor, a vendor that doesn't do ebay.......none of this would have happened if the reply was.......

The listing covers the item/items available.

Done, no more, no less..............Done.

If the a-hole customer persists.....add the word 'sorry' and copy/paste.
ok...

Old 01-17-2016, 08:36 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

I hate to revisit this thread but I have one quick comment. Detoured Discovery said it all when he said he was not a vendor on eBay. I think few people here who don't sell on eBay in volume will ever really understand the amount of time that can be consumed in a day answering questions that could have been solved had the buyer simply taken the time to read the auction description. I know both Joel and I list our items with compatibility charts, Rover part numbers (typically with cross referenced or superceeded part numbers) and provide detailed information about what particular truck the part came from (mileage, condition, ect.). So when you open your mail and you are confronted with a question like this:

"Will this fit my 2003 Discovery"

For an auction titled "Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Transmission Shift **** 1999-2004 UCK100230PMA" one has to wonder the level of reading skill among Land Rover owners.
Now, there was also a description that stated the part would fit models from 2003 as well as a compatibility chart reflecting the same information.

So when a seller gets a dozen or more of this type of question a day, every day of the year, including weekends and holidays, is it surprising that at times we may be a tad less helpful??? Oh, and by the way, in the same email the guy who couldn't read the title of the auction actually asked for a discount for a $14.99 part with free Priority Mail shipping!

I actually enjoy it when a customer contacts me, either through eBay or directly with a question about their truck. I was once in that person's shoes and seldom need to remind myself of that fact. However, silly, time wasting questions like the one above take away from my ability to help people really in need. Is it too much to ask that people read descriptions before asking questions? Is it too much to ask them perform a modicum of due diligence before hitting the "Buy It Now" button? I'm old enough to remember a time when it was expected for vendors to sell products not coddle customer unwilling to do a little research.

The following 4 users liked this post by Paul Grant:
buckhornimports@gmail.com (01-17-2016), Detoured Discovey (01-17-2016), Racer X (01-17-2016), RicketyTick (01-17-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 01:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I totally get it, I get the same in emails & phone calls.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

I used to sell on eBay, I don't know how you guys do it, eBay is so geared to the customer that if you sell a used item say its used as is take a ton of pictures showing imperfections, the buyer can complain to eBay which freezes your money then get a partial or full refund for say a scuff on a used item that was clearly show in pics, now the seller is out money and the item, or worse the usps destroys the box damaging the item but its the seller fault and again seller is out the money and item , you guys have more patience then me

Old 01-17-2016, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TOM R
I used to sell on eBay, I don't know how you guys do it, eBay is so geared to the customer that if you sell a used item say its used as is take a ton of pictures showing imperfections, the buyer can complain to eBay which freezes your money then get a partial or full refund for say a scuff on a used item that was clearly show in pics, now the seller is out money and the item, or worse the usps destroys the box damaging the item but its the seller fault and again seller is out the money and item , you guys have more patience then me
Patience is a factor. So is experience. I actually started selling parts on eBay as a hobby back in 1999... Things were a LOT different back then. There was no paypal, buyers would mail money orders as payment. Many items listed on eBay did not even have photos, but mine did, even if I was shooting pics on film and having to mail it off to have them put on a disc. Today I spend a lot of money not only on packaging but shipping insurance, back then insuring a package meant standing in line at the Post Office. So you may think it is hard now, but just about everything has gotten easier. Of course there is a constantly evolving list of new problems to deal with, and I wish the cost of shipping hadn't risen so much...

Old 01-17-2016, 05:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

^ I enjoy paying UPS's 'Carbon Fee'............what the what?

Old 01-18-2016, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Yeah the majority of what I sold was ww2 vehicle parts mostly Nos and some repro stuff( for same vehicle) me and dad made as a hobby

Think I got out before the real problems, but I was also dealing with adult buyers lol

My brother still sells on there , vintage rc cars and guys or kids are ******** he losses so much money I think he finally gave up

Old 01-18-2016, 12:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

I parted out 3 or 4 cars on ebay and I used to buy fix and sell cars pretty regularly. I know what Paul is talking about. I have so much respect for anyone willing to deal w the dumbass questions day in and day out. Craigslist is way way worse. People can't or won't read 3 or 4 lines. Sounds like the OP is one of those people who want everything on a platter w zero effort and the cheapest price. The answer could have been a little better but it's not untruthful.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:44 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

We're a Top Rated Powerseller on eBay and that certainly seemed like a poor response to a legitimate question from the buyer.
Looks like it just spiraled out of control by both parties having a chip on their shoulder.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

After reading through all threads linked and being thoroughly intrigued/horrified by OP's behavior both here an on other forums yeah I'd agree with what others have said. This is NOT someone I'd want to have anything to do with. Whoever mentioned the similarity to that kid who got off the DUI/manslaughter charges with the affluenza defense was spot on. Definitely sounds like someone who was never told "no" as a child.

I too have asked stupid questions of sellers and annoyed lucky 8 with emails, but I try to be smarter every day... Thank you to all you sellers out there that make owning and fixing land rovers a possibility for us common folk.

Quick Reply: Buckhorn_imports in eBay bad idea?