Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Cashiers Checks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011 | 04:39 AM
Super Moderator

And he could have reasons for not having a bank account, ex-wives, Infernal Revenue Service, court judgements,..... some people want to stay off the grid.

Old 10-20-2011 | 08:30 AM
Baja

Originally Posted by s10lowrider1994
a piece of paper means absolutely nothing to me.
In that case, when he gives you a cashier's check endorse it over to me. I'll send you my address.

Old 10-20-2011 | 05:57 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by antichrist
In that case, when he gives you a cashier's check endorse it over to me. I'll send you my address.
I'll take half of that!!

Old 10-21-2011 | 02:05 PM
Drifting

Cashiers checks don't automatically mean a scam Savannah. My GF bought a jetski before we went to lake powell this summer. She paid with a cashiers check. She could have just pulled out the cash but she felt more comfortable doing a cashiers check. Personally I would have just done cash but it was her deal. The guy selling the jetski was happy to take the check.

Old 10-21-2011 | 02:44 PM
Winching

Seen them faked, and faked so well the bank will cash it and then come after you when they find out. I don't know how, but good forgers somehow get them by all security checks, although its getting harder. I see it almost exclusively on private auto sales. Meet at their bank.

Old 10-22-2011 | 11:12 PM
|
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by photocrimes
Seen them faked, and faked so well the bank will cash it and then come after you when they find out. I don't know how, but good forgers somehow get them by all security checks, although its getting harder. I see it almost exclusively on private auto sales. Meet at their bank.
That was my biggest thing, the number of fakes out there. Most folks that arent from here think I'm paranoid but DC and the surrounding suburbs are scam central, especially on craigslist. You never know who is for real since most of them arent. Talked to the guy again the other day and we're going to go to his bank together and get the check cashed. As long as I have cash in my hand before the bike leaves I'm good to go.

Old 10-22-2011 | 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

With cash in hand you can buy that swanky Range Rover so you can quit driving Amanda's Disco....

Old 10-23-2011 | 12:58 AM
TReK

I understand your concern but dont ALWAYS assume its a scam or fraud. I wont speak to soon but I'm dealing with a seller at the moment - under extreme circumstances of which require lots of trust on both ends and the willingness to take a chance. Just something to think about.

Old 10-24-2011 | 12:56 PM
TReK

If you call the issuing bank to confirm it's legitimacy, they will tell you within a minute of running the number. If you take it to a different bank, they will treat it as cash and run the number when it is convenient. That is when people get in trouble. Just call ahead of time and verify.

Old 10-24-2011 | 05:11 PM
Pro Wrench

I just mailed Danny some parts and HOEPFULLY he will send me some mud guards in return.... I think it's a scam waiting to happen.... *sigh*

Oh and I have heard that sometimes when you turn in a cashier's check you can actually get more than what is posted on it? Just heard, not personal experience.

Quick Reply: Cashiers Checks?