Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Cashiers Checks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 06:16 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by calebbo
I just mailed Danny some parts and HOEPFULLY he will send me some mud guards in return.... I think it's a scam waiting to happen.... *sigh*

Oh and I have heard that sometimes when you turn in a cashier's check you can actually get more than what is posted on it? Just heard, not personal experience.
Never trust a redneck kid.

No, a cashiers check or money order is only as good as its face value, so if it says $500 its only worth $500.

Here is where cashiers checks are good, I mailed the rent check, it got lost in the mail, land lord comes knocking, the only "proof" I had was the check copy, but that means nothing, I could easily wrote the check and thrown it away but kept the copy to try and fool him.
I had to pay my bank $25 to cancel the check and then write him a new one.
So I was out $25 for that.

Next time it happened I paid with a cashiers check, again it got lost, he came knocking, showed him the reciept from the store showing that I bought the cashiers check plus showed him the copy of said check.
Called the cashier check company, gave them the check number, they ran that number and it had not been cashed so they issued me a new one less a $10 fee.
So I saved $15.

Now I drop my rent off each month, screw the post office.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
With cash in hand you can buy that swanky Range Rover so you can quit driving Amanda's Disco....
Haha I've been eyeballing a few of the Range Rover Classics over the past few weeks. Funny thing is that the one I posted about recently was actually one she wanted to buy in addition to the Disco. Sadly that one disappeared before we got back from vacation. I do have my eye on a 93 LWB that's pretty built but I have yet to go check it out.

All is supposed to go down with the motorcycle on Wednesday and I'm giving the guy the benefit of the doubt with the check. He seems nice and honest and if he's willing to go to his bank and cash it with me I dont see how any wrong doing could occur. I've just had so many BS offers and scam attempts in the past it makes me approach every bigger sale with extreme caution.

Anyway when I get some money in my pocket maybe I can get my own Rover

Old 10-26-2011, 04:09 PM
Rock Crawling

Should have went with my gut, guy turned out to be a total con. Got half cash, half cashiers check and a very sketchy buyer. Guy rides away in the rain and comes back over an hour later wanting me to give him all the cash back. After a laundry list of excuses he got mad and called the cops on me. Not sure what he was trying to pull but I have cash and he has a new bike to enjoy.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:12 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

That sucks.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Rock Crawling

Yep pretty much a total joke, I do have the money but I'm sure I'll have to deal with this idiot for months. He signed a bill of sale that clearly stated multiple times the item was sold as is where is with no warranty whatsoever or refund policy. It is afterall a used motorcycle that hasnt been ridden in months. Anyway I'll start a new thread to gripe about it and give ya'll the full version.