Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Dfender VS. Disco

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 05:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Dfender VS. Disco

I may be wrong but it seems to me that there should be a lot more Discos out there than Defenders. Should that be the case why do so many vendors offer up so much for the Defender and so much less for the Disco, never understood this. Heard about a shop over in Orlando and when I checked it out they were pretty much a "All about Defender" shop. Not saying that they can't or won't work on a Disco, it's just that everything is geared toward the Defender including items stocked in house.....

Old 09-16-2015, 07:40 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

because defenders are sold in 147 country, the US is the only LR market that does not allow them. but they are slowly creeping in as they get older quite a few defenders and Santana being import to Fla. looking at ebay

Last edited by drowssap; 09-16-2015 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:07 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
because defenders are sold in 147 country, the US is the only LR market that does not allow them. but they are slowly creeping in as they get older quite a few defenders and Santana being import to Fla. looking at ebay
Kind of my point. US only allowed Defenders for a certain number of years where as there are a lot more Discos, so why wouldnt you want to accomdate the masses...

Old 09-16-2015, 08:55 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

Discos are getting more rare. They really took a hit with cash for clunkers. The number of people maintaining and wheeling their D1 is even less. Despite D1's dwindling numbers they aren't collectible like the Defender.
More and more Defenders are being imported every day. No one is importing D1's.
Defenders arw basically bolt together construction. Somebody with basic tools could totally strip and rebuild a Defender in their garage, body and all.
Defenders is where the money is at. That's why people list their used parts on D90 Source, people there have more money and are willing to spend it.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by FLA Rover
Kind of my point. US only allowed Defenders for a certain number of years where as there are a lot more Discos, so why wouldnt you want to accomdate the masses...
I agree, I see Discos everywhere. I only see Defenders on Ebay, not that there are not any around.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by FLA Rover
What Vendors are you referring to? The aftermarket accessory market is driven by the UK, not the US. In the UK the "Defender"(and its predecessor, not called a Defender) are a dime a dozen. They're everywhere. A 20 year old Defender in the UK doesn't fetch $50,000+ like it does here. Over there they are workhorse trucks primarily, whereas here a large number of them are street queens.
And again, Defenders are stupid easy to accessorize. There's like 15 different hood vent covers because they can swap them in about 5 minutes with 3 screws.

As someone mentioned in another post the D1 section here is pretty quiet lately. The D2 section is much more busy, but the # of things that can be modded on a D2 are limited and just not enough people are doing it to make it worth the money to develop products.

Old 09-16-2015, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,490 Likes on 1,217 Posts

I see a defender and a disco everyday lol.

Fish is right though it is stupid easy to change out stuff on the 110. If you don't like what you can buy for it from a vendor take a quick walk around a junk yard. 30 min or less you'll find something you like from some other car that you can make work pretty easily.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:21 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

One other problem is Defenders were a workhorse truck and now collectable by enthusiasts whereas many bought and still buy Discos as family transport for the wife and kids and there are many on the road whereas the Defender per se is now discontinued. The Defender is and always will be very basic and uncomfortable by comparison, agricultural springs to mind, and why they hold their price better no-one knows as basically they have the same/similar running gear, engines but only stick shift gearboxes. No logic in the prices in used condition.

Old 09-20-2015, 04:48 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the defender manufacturing ending at the end of the year it'll be very interesting to see its replacement.

It's lifespan has been unrivalled for its functionality for a workhorse but far less within the comfort environment.

The Defender still holds it price well against the disco in the 2nd hand market.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been in shock to walk into the salvage yards in the big cities like Houston and Dallas in only the last couple of years. You're very lucky if you run into 1 or 2 D1's in the whole city from month to month. That being said having a Defender has always been "way cooler" than having a Disco.

I have always been under the impression that the Disco was the last attempt to really cater to the off-road lovers of the brand in the U.S.....seems like everything after that really catered to the High-end status brand image.

In addition to the comments on the "bolt on" ability of the Defender, doesn't it also have a more trimmed out electrical system? Not sure, just always assumed it did.

You take a D1 and a Defender off-road in comp and I would always put my money on the Defender, assuming same drive capabilities and outfitting where the same.

Lastly, I think the comparing and Defender to the Disco is like comparing a Jeep Wrangler to a Blazer or Bronco.

Tex

Quick Reply: Dfender VS. Disco