Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Do you drive a gas guzzler? Dealing with difficult comments on Rover ownership.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013 | 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

I'd kill for a huge garage attached or detached. I hate freezing to death in the driveway working on the 110.

I found I just don't anger the wife and if I mistakenly do I correct it quickly. It makes life easier. Plus she has been very supportive of the 110 and MGB rolling restorations.

Tomorrow it's back to freezing to death to finish the rear suspension.

Oh and to make your friend feel better about your discovery, let him know I only get 12 mpg on my commute when it's this cold.

Old 12-23-2013 | 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Just an FYI , Not quite a garage, but those portable garage tent things are on sale $179. Harbor freight

Old 12-23-2013 | 08:00 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

hahahaha.. your posts crack me up. I'm glad I joined this forum. Hey Army.. I checked out your photos - you have a nice looking rig there - even if it only gets 12 mpg in the cold it looks like a fun ride! Have you taken your wife for a spin yet? That's awesome that she's into it as well!

Old 12-23-2013 | 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dusty1
Just an FYI , Not quite a garage, but those portable garage tent things are on sale $179. Harbor freight
Yeah the condo association I'm sure would love that I thought they were going to stroke out when I did an engine swap in the driveway.

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
hahahaha.. your posts crack me up. I'm glad I joined this forum. Hey Army.. I checked out your photos - you have a nice looking rig there - even if it only gets 12 mpg in the cold it looks like a fun ride! Have you taken your wife for a spin yet? That's awesome that she's into it as well!

Thanks it has a long way to go. My wife likes it and my daughter loves it, almost as much as the MGB.

Old 12-24-2013 | 08:28 AM

Back in the old days (1960's/70's) the MGB's and LR's were the 'bird pullers' . These days in the UK and europe it's all the old'uns that own them whilst reminiscing as they couldn't afford them when they were young and they talk classic cars all the time . It's different these days in most places, the young people are buying the historic and classic cars and renovating them for fun whilst these same old'uns look on and reminisce (and give rubbish free advice) and often still can't afford them or are now too old to appreciate them Good to see the younger people restoring and enjoying these cars again.

Old 12-24-2013 | 09:59 AM
|
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Yeah the condo association I'm sure would love that I thought they were going to stroke out when I did an engine swap in the driveway.

Thanks it has a long way to go. My wife likes it and my daughter loves it, almost as much as the MGB.

Well we have a LOT in common then as I've already experienced the wrath from doing a head gasket job in mine.. Gotta love condo associations.

Old 12-24-2013 | 10:15 AM
|
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Back in the old days (1960's/70's) the MGB's and LR's were the 'bird pullers' . These days in the UK and europe it's all the old'uns that own them whilst reminiscing as they couldn't afford them when they were young and they talk classic cars all the time . It's different these days in most places, the young people are buying the historic and classic cars and renovating them for fun whilst these same old'uns look on and reminisce (and give rubbish free advice) and often still can't afford them or are now too old to appreciate them Good to see the younger people restoring and enjoying these cars again.

France - my husband and I holiday in Cornwall in the UK each spring (if we can swing it). Every corner you turn there's a Rover - mainly farm trucks as it's very wild and rugged there, surrounded by cliffs, pastures and the sea. A lot of the tourist traps use them as people toters up and down the hills as well. It's the main reason I decided to get one - I wanted to feel like I was on vacation every single day Having said that though I don't feel like I'm on vacation when it decides to act up A definite love/hate relationship

Old 12-24-2013 | 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Well we have a LOT in common then as I've already experienced the wrath from doing a head gasket job in mine.. Gotta love condo associations.
There are a lot of pluses for us with them taking care of the maintenance, yard work and snow removal. In my line of work I'm gone a lot, and it takes that load off of my wife. The rest of the crap involved with condo's though is a joke and I'm glad I am just renting. I'm looking forward to retiring from the Army though and having a huge garage with a small attached house.

Old 12-25-2013 | 09:25 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

Update: Well I'm kinda bummed. My 'nemesis' didn't make the Christmas get together afterall. Rumor has it he had a mid-life crisis and moved to Georgia for the winter.. confusing! No one knew the full story so I have a model Discovery sitting in a box and an unsharpened tongue to go with it Maybe it was for the best as I really didn't need to hear it again about driving a gas hog. Oh well...thanks for the ideas and Merry Christmas everyone! Cheers.

Old 12-26-2013 | 09:40 AM

Update: Well I'm kinda bummed. My 'nemesis' didn't make the Christmas get together afterall. Rumor has it he had a mid-life crisis and moved to Georgia for the winter.. confusing! No one knew the full story so I have a model Discovery sitting in a box and an unsharpened tongue to go with it Maybe it was for the best as I really didn't need to hear it again about driving a gas hog. Oh well...thanks for the ideas and Merry Christmas everyone! Cheers.
No worries there eh, no stress or family upset - result. As the song goes "another one bites the dust"

Quick Reply: Do you drive a gas guzzler? Dealing with difficult comments on Rover ownership.