Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Do you drive a gas guzzler? Dealing with difficult comments on Rover ownership.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013 | 05:31 AM
|
Recovery Vehicle
Default Do you drive a gas guzzler? Dealing with difficult comments on Rover ownership.

Starting to get excited about Christmas and seeing family and friends but have a dilemma. A close relative of mine feels the need to bring up the fact that I drive a gas guzzler at every family function. As much as we have in common we are also polar opposites. I drive a heavy ‘gas guzzling’ DII, he drives a smart car and secretly yearns for a Prius. He listens to NPR - I don’t. He feels the need to tell people what they ought to do, I typically take things in stride. This isn’t the first time and I’m sure it won’t be the last holiday that I hear about my inability to treat my environment the way it should be treated. I am making conscious efforts to make my DII a leaner machine, to get better fuel efficiency, and treat it right. I’d like to drive it as long as possible while making it the best it can be. It's practical to me although I care about the environment as well...and Rovers are so versatile and cool. So Land Rover owners.. any advice on how to deal with this difficult member? And better yet.. shall I give him his Christmas gift?

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 12-22-2013 at 06:16 AM.
Old 12-22-2013 | 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle meets lawful pollution standards upon import to our country. He elects to operate a small vehicle and travel on the same road that you help fund more heavily via the gasoline taxes.

You elect to surround your family with solid protection and the ability to go anywhere.

I enjoy NPR as it provides a balance to talk radio. Only get your info from one source and you only know one side of an issue.

For gift may I suggest a subscription to Rush Limbaugh and something from the shameless commerce division on Car Talk, a great NPR program.

Old 12-22-2013 | 08:37 AM
Rock Crawling

Just tell him to stick it in his ear. Keep sending him pictures of the wonderful vistas and scenery and wildflowers of the places your LR takes you to that his Smart won't take him to. Quit feeling guilty and tell the self-righteous Gift From God to Mankind to stick it in his ear. Ask him if he would like to do some exploring with you in your LR. I have a very "green" sister who used to tell me to enjoy destroying the environment when I went out 4x4 exploring. Well after many many pictures of where I go she now rather tells me I am a window on the beautiful places she will never get to even though she has never been out with me.

Old 12-22-2013 | 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Tell him thanks for making extra environmental slack so as you can drive the rover and that if it were not for the idiocracy of environmental regulations.....we would all be driving the efficient diesel powered rovers. Then tell him to just ride a bicycle, so you can have two of them...
And outside of click and clack... Can't go wrong with wait wait...don't tell me. But to each... His own. I am more of a "if you don't like abortion....don't get one" gun totting semi-vegetarian , type. So, in other words, my vote seldom goes to the winning party, if ever. But I enjoy npr, as well as, several other sources for news and I enjoy my rovers and I would never want to infringe on that dude's right, to drive a Prius.

Last edited by dusty1; 12-22-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-22-2013 | 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Tell him "watch while I lower my carbon foot print before your eyes"

Get in the Rover and park it on top of his smart car. Walk off laughing, have beer and text pictures of said parking job to your friends.

I also point out that I'm simply recycling by driving a old car.

Attached Thumbnails Do you drive a gas guzzler? Dealing with difficult comments on Rover ownership.-tumblr_mqw2ttivb21qz8lvuo1_400.jpg  

Last edited by ArmyRover; 12-22-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-22-2013 | 02:10 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Tell him "watch while I lower my carbon foot print before your eyes"

Get in the Rover and park it on top of his smart car. Walk off laughing, have beer and text pictures of said parking job to your friends.

I also point out that I'm simply recycling by driving a old car.

Yes, well.. that answer doesn't shock me today, wouldn't have shocked me yesterday or tomorrow for that matter. It sounds like a definite man answer, but I'll take it into consideration, thank you. I think women can be a bit more subtle but still get the point across.

I liked RoverRocks very poetic answer: 'I am a window on the beautiful places she will never get to even though she has never been out with me'...

In this instance I would just substitute 'he' for 'she' :-)

this forum is starting to give me a bad case of multiple personality disorder - lol..

Thanks for the input guys but I have a confession to make. I'm an environmental engineer that cares about the environment too. I analyze pipelines for corrosion on a daily basis, have on occasion listened to 'car talk' and although Rush Limbaugh isn't my choice of radio intellect I respect the right to free speech and being human. After all, each of us are our own unique snowflake, are we not?

Gotta dash.. I eloped 7 years ago today. It was a snowstorm much like the one we have right now - I dropped my husband of 8 hours off at the airport, said our tearful goodbyes, watched him go thru security, thought I watched what was his plane take-off and went home thinking that I wouldn't see him again for another eight months (British). An hour or so passed and I checked online to make sure he had arrived in Detroit safely for his connecting flight. Little did I know that he hadn't even taken off the ground yet. Back in the Mustang I went (yes, I drove a little Red Mustang back then with a fierce set of snow tires) made my way thru the blizzard and snow covered roads to the airport and there he was just sitting by the phone booth. He had given me his last American nickel before he had left, thinking that he didn't have a need for cash, the phone booth didn't take credit cards and there he sat, all alone hoping and praying that I'd return. Like a scene in a movie, I ran across the airport calling his name, he got up and spun me around in his arms (ok.. I made that part up but I did get a good hug and kiss) and the rest was history. That was the first Christmas we spent together. He could have taken a flight out Christmas Eve but opted to stay 3 more days and what a 3 days they were... Going to pick up my husband and enjoy our 7th anniversary together. I'll work on the carbon footprint and thanks again for the advice... xx

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 12-22-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-22-2013 | 05:25 PM
Pro Wrench

Just smile and say "the earth thanks you for your concern"

My other car is a 2009 Smart fortwo and I hear my share of grief since I bought my 2008 new in 2008. I hear all the time about it being a 'death trap' and 'wouldn't want to be hit by a semi in that thing' It gets old but to those who say I am gonna die in that tin can, I say WHEN???? that usually shuts them up.

My favorite was when an idiot asked how many clowns fit in it.. I replied "I don't know, get your family over here and we will see... " Not sure if he ever figured out what I was saying.

I guess if anybody hassles me about my LR, I'll just lock the 4wd and run them over...

I don't really care if people drive a gas guzzler, or a Prius. Drive what makes you happy. I am not here to live up to their expectations as they are not here to live up to mine.

Last edited by jimvw57; 12-22-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-22-2013 | 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

I don't answer based on gender

Aside from that I know plenty of females that would agree with my idea. Of course I'm in the military and most of the females I know are as well.

Old 12-22-2013 | 07:09 PM
Three Wheeling

I'm sure Jeremy Clarkson could help you in a situation such as that.

Old 12-22-2013 | 07:12 PM
Pro Wrench

I read an article once about environmental impact of the Prius vs the Hummer. It turns out the Toyota is actually worse.

The plant were they mine the nickel for the batteries that go in to the Prius has like a 30 mile dead zone radius. It's horrific. Also given the Hummer is estimated at 200k miles plus, and the Prius has life expectancy of about 125k on average. Plus the impact of all the junk batteries they produce. So looking at the while picture, The Rover isn't that bad.

Quick Reply: Do you drive a gas guzzler? Dealing with difficult comments on Rover ownership.