Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Flaking Chrome Exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 04:28 AM
EAD
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Flaking Chrome Exhausts

Hi,

Im hoping someone may be able to shed some light on this.

I drive a 2012 V8 4.4 range rover - the winter pack chrome exhausts began flaking shortly after the garage did a forced regen of the dpf filter. They did a forced regen instead of replacing it - which they said would cost around £2k under warranty.

My father and a freind who is a master mechanic advised that the forced regen now cuases the injection system to fire at too high a temp (630 deg c) which the coating on the exhausts cant handle and this causes the flaking.

In addition, they say that the high temp, burns more fuel and causes the filter to clogg more often. Which would explain why I get the dpf filter messages monthly now - they are alot more fequent than before. I realise that my short journeys to and from work Monday to Friday may be a factor - but the car does get at least a 100 mile drive each weekend. My mechanic freind didn't think my driving durations would affect the filter too much becuase it gets a clear at the weekends.

The garage are replacing the chrome exhausts in 4 weeks time (although they are in stock) - but I am now worried that I am cuasing damage to the engine - and the cost to run my car is greater.

I would appreciate any information on this topic please - this situation is concerning me.

Best regards,
EAD