Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Funny old world.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 06:33 PM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts
Default Funny old world.

It always seems a strange world on the internet, one shares banter and jokes with people you feel you may like or get to know but you never will meet them. It's a bit like ships passing in the night on the ocean, same situation and predicaments, you see them but never meet.

It was similar to the offshore and oil industry, you work for years with some people, strike up a good rapport and then move on around the world never to meet them again. At least in many cases one is a bit 'richer' for sharing their company, knowledge and experiences I suppose. Funny old world sometimes.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:23 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Facebook.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:07 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Facebook.
Unfortunately I don't do FB or social networking, it's a 'pet' hate of mine. Many I know do but they never communicate normally any more unless by FB.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

My wife set up a fb account for me. I visit it once or twice a year just to change profile pic. I'm not interested in a high school buddies dinner menu or the likes.
She, on the other hand, pokes at it constantly.

IMO Common interest/situation makes for better, more comfortable rapport.

Last edited by dusty1; 02-21-2014 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:42 PM
Camel Trophy

I've been found by several long lost friends, one of them I named a son after. I've met up with a couple of best friends I lost contact info for. When families are spread out across the world it's a cheap way of staying in touch. I'm not a FB addict, I have more important things in life.

You social networking on LRF......only difference is your real name is hidden....

Old 02-21-2014, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Mines not, but thank god that's not my picture

Old 02-21-2014, 10:11 PM
Camel Trophy

Either way, it suits you.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Facebook is tricky. And it is like high school. You put yourself out there, someone asks to be your 'friend' or you ask to be theirs and then a decision has to be made. Either you accept the invitation or the other person does. There are too many avenues for hurt feelings, etc. but I guess that's called life.

I've met people that I think are cool, someone that I'd like to stay in contact with and have put myself out there and have requested 'friendship'. No response is pretty tough to deal with - sometimes you just have to brush it off and move on I guess. Other times you ponder on it more deeply - wondering 'why' and 'what the hell have I done' to deserve this? It may be easier for guys.. they're programmed to receive rejection, but for girls(?) it eats away at the mind.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:10 PM
Baja

You are spot on Landlover_1, every day in the UK press there are cases of young girls committing suicide due to trolling and abuse by other FB users. I have no interest or intention of joining FB or any other dedicated social networking organisation, I hate them. The one thing about forumland there are usually very good, level headed moderators so trolling and abuse is rarely tolerated whereas on FB and the like it is commonplace. Personally, I am pretty emotionally 'bombproof' and anyone trolling is wasting their time and will be told in no uncertain terms to FO but I appreciate there are many of a more fragile disposition who trolling and abuse can impact deeply upon and their psyche and do untold emotional damage. Personally, I have never been desperate for 'virtual' friends as I believe they are sometimes emotionally lacking in some way or another. However, this is only my take and opinion though.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:55 PM
Camel Trophy

Personally I don't accept either interpretation of FB and I'll tell you why. I use it maybe a half dozen times a year between family, relatives or close friends; i.e., people I already know or have known and that's it. Without making this too personal, I initially setup an account long ago so that my youngest son could contact me. It was very important. From that initial reason I subsequently was contacted by several very close friends that I grew up with, spent time in the service with or had previously worked with. When a good friend was deployed his wife contacted me through FB. It helped her greatly to know I was there. So it hasn't been a negative experience for me. I use it as an adult for adult reasons and I haven't had one problem. So with that I say you reap what you sew in life and I've had a bountiful yield. I've been all over the world and have gained and lost many contacts over my lifetime. With this account I've regained some of what I've lost over my fifty one years and I hope it keeps returning on the investment. To each their own........

I knew exactly what I was posting and why and the only time I troll is in a Boston Whaler for Whitefish or Lake Trout. I'll skip all the rest..........

Quick Reply: Funny old world.