Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

How true is this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 04:54 AM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts
Default How true is this?

Reading this article I imagined they were speaking of modern day France today or other european countries 20 years ago when sexism was rife and was reflected in the pay packet but the inequalities seem to prevail in the US today also. I don't know how this compares to the rest of the world but I might do some research to find out. It may very well be better than elsewhere, similar or even worse, TBH I haven't got a clue.

It would be interesting to hear other's perceptions who are based in the US economy.

The 10 Worst States for Women - 24/7 Wall St.

Old 10-10-2014, 05:34 AM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

I don't have a lot of time to get deep into the details of that article but I will quickly say that income disparity is particularly rife in states here in the US where education is failing. Many of the ten states cited in the article are near or at the very bottom in terms of education. These states are also among many that ascribe to the "Right to Work" law which does great harm to the ability of workers to unionize in the effort to achieve better wages and benefits. These states are also states have also gone to great lengths to restrict abortion rights for women and pregnancy rates, especially among teens are higher.

Couple all these issues of poor education, lapses in social services and the inability to unionize and you have a female workforce operating at a distinct disadvantage. Add to that issues of race and you can begin to see some serious divisions in American society.

Old 10-10-2014, 05:46 AM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

Take a look at this chart and you'll see that most of those states listed as the worst for women also have some of the lowest levels of education attainment.

List of U.S. states by educational attainment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now, I understand that this chart falls short of explaining the issue away but it is of interest.

I have to go feed the goats right now as the sun is just starting to come up but I will try, later today, to find a corresponding chart relating to income dispartity and levels of education attainment. It should be interesting.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:36 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

no real surprise in most of the states listed.
it must just be a coincident that the states that only pay .75 on the dollars also have 25% poverty level.
And the ones that pay.80 on the dollar have a 20% poverty level;
no collation their.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts
Old 10-10-2014, 07:10 AM
Baja

was Arkansas on that list?

yes it was:

As of 2012, all the elected offices in the Arkansas executive branch of government were occupied by men. Of the state’s two senators and four representatives in Congress, none are women. Even in the Arkansas legislature, women are scarce, representing only 17% of seats last year. Women in Arkansas are not finding much success in the private sector either, with fewer than 40% of managerial jobs in the state held by women. Although the state rates poorly for failing to provide women with leadership roles, it actually performed quite well for women’s economic security.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

Doesn't prove discrimination vs choices.

Also from 1999 to 2011 one of the two senators was female.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:47 AM
Baja

so they choose to work for less? OK, i got now.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

They choose jobs that pay less.

If you compare the same jobs and experience the gap disappears or favors women.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:14 AM
Baja

i has six sisters that would strongly disagree with you on that.

but what do i know, i dont have a u tube video made by a Political science major (one degree above underwater basket weaving) just facts from New York Times & Center For American Progress.

Quick Reply: How true is this?