Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

I need portable garage space

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 02:44 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Cool I need portable garage space

I find as I become more mechanically interested in my Disco that I really need proper garage space that is warm, dry and well lit. Dont own my own place and the garage on site "was" only accessible once in awhile, now I have the lift installed so I can no longer fit the Disco in the garage. Often times the weather in New England is less desireable for anyone hoping to do any mechanical work on their vehicles outside exposed to the elements. Lack of garage space as been extremely discouraging for me lately especially with how cold and windy it has been lately, not to mention the frozen ground. Not much lite in the day either and Im fed up with small led flashlights that I have to hold or that roll and fall off the chassis when I need them most . I still have to change the transmission and transfer case fluids!

Wondering if anyone else is in the same boat and how you have adapted? It seems I need to come up with a portable solution to the problem. I purchased one foam mat the other day but its not big enough to cover the entire floor space underneath my Disco so Im looking into larger foam floor mats. They are light weight and easy to clean and roll up for storage when done. Next I need to come up with something I can easily wrap around the entire vehicle that hangs down below the door panels to keep out the elements and wind while Im underneath the truck working. Like a bed skirt, only for a vehicle. Have not found anything yet. Next line of business is serious lighting. Spent an hour browsing the web for good lighting solutions and came back with work lights. They have a large selection of work lights on Amazon. Typically they are heavy duty lights that can take a beating, they are boxy and the light head can be adjusted to an angle that best suits your needs. I need something that can lay down flat on the ground, that will not roll around and can be angled up into the chassis. Something I do not have to hold!

Sucks I have to go through all this trouble just to perform basic mechanical jobs on my Disco..... wish I had enough money to buy my own house complete with a huge garage. You guys with garages dont realize how lucky you are! I just had to rant, but if anyone has more suggestions I happy to hear them. Wish there was a garage space I could rent for low rate when i need it.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Rent a storage locker and take a kero heater with you.

Tractor supply or Ag Supply for temp structures.

Temp structure of 2X4s with poly on both sides, makes air pocket between and has some insulation factor - used in green houses etc. but poor snow load.

Insulated coveralls

Infrared heater can be used outdoors if not too windy or a salamander style heater.

Save money in warmer weather to pay a shop in cold weather.

Get permission to use the office shop if available.

Wrenching in a winter wonderland...

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 12-29-2013 at 04:05 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

On sale at harbor freight 299 down to 179. On there portable garage

Old 12-29-2013, 08:27 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 122 Likes on 105 Posts

In the same situation except I own the house and there is no driveway, let alone money to afford a garage.I have been wrenching 'on the street' for over 20 years, and it gets mighty cold out there doing a brake job at -15 degrees and snow. today it is a balmy 8 degrees with a 24 mph wind. I'd love a garage!!

I have tried those pop-up shelters and about all they are good for is keeping the sun off you. They don't handle wind too well and can hardly support themselves let alone snow.

Haven't tried the pole framed units, they seem to be too small and not much shelter on the bottom of the walls. Years ago there used to be old mechanical garages that went out of business and were converted to do-it-yourself garages where you paid a fee and could work inside, separate rental for a lift, etc but I think Insurance killed them off.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Meh, no need for all that, just park in the living room.

Attached Thumbnails I need portable garage space-image.jpg  
Old 12-29-2013, 05:42 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty1
Meh, no need for all that, just park in the living room.
Desperate or what!

Old 12-29-2013, 05:49 PM

Triar11

Check out EZ UP canopy tents on Ebay US. They are cheap(ish) and will cover the whole truck. The only thing is then heating - risky. You can get 12V powered LED worklights run from a battery. The tents can be dismantled and stored. They are used a lot in race paddocks.

http://ezup.fr/tentes-pliantes/profe...ed-shelter-ii/

They also come with detachable sides. They can dismantle very quickly and pack into a bag for storage.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 12-30-2013 at 07:11 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:54 PM

I've got a great garage. Huge and 10'+ high with a 9' high roller electric shutter opening. Big problem - it's full of crap and I can't get the D2 into it. The Paj is OK as it's SWB but not the important truck. The wife's Smarty 'falls' into it like a toy.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:38 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 122 Likes on 105 Posts

You don't keep your Smart in the rear of the LR?? use it like a life boat on a ship...Haven't measured yet but I think mine will fit in the rear door (just kidding)

Old 12-30-2013, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by jimvw57
You don't keep your Smart in the rear of the LR?? use it like a life boat on a ship...Haven't measured yet but I think mine will fit in the rear door (just kidding)
It could almost fit in there but the wife is soooo sensitive about her Smarty (toy car) but she had a decent car before, a VW Golf GTi running on petrol, real flyer and comfortable. Smarties are great for short runs in a town/city but I don't like to be seen in it - if I do it's always incognito, well you never know - do you.

Quick Reply: I need portable garage space