Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Jeeps

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013 | 10:33 PM
|
Overlanding
Default Jeeps

So in traffic today, I saw three Jeeps... Cherokee, Rubicon and a Sport all broke on the side of the highway somewhere between the 30 mile commute to and fro.

Don't know about you, but since I've gotten a Land Rover, I get a slight, guilty pleasure out of seeing that. I feel sorry for the owners in that kind of situation (I've been there and helpless), but as for the car itself, I kinda smirk.

Old 10-15-2013 | 12:26 PM
Three Wheeling

Sorry, but I just have to laugh at this. I am the new owner of a D1, switching over from the jeep side. In order to make the rover reliable offroad, I am removing everything from beneath it and replacing.

I love the rovers, but they just dont hold a candle to a jeep mechanically.

Maybe you should say instead "my rover is better to commute on pavement with than those jeeps", though i suppose that doesnt sound as impressive.

carry on.

Old 10-15-2013 | 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Actually I've found if you keep the maintenance up on a Land Rover it's no less reliable than anything else on the road.

Plus the few times my Rover's have broke down they have had the common courtesy to make it home first

Old 10-15-2013 | 06:21 PM
Three Wheeling

I agree, maintenance goes a long way. But there isnt much you can do with parts that are weak to begin with. jeep axles will handle 33" in stock form, youd really have to try to break shafts. rovers on the other hand, well good luck.

Old 10-15-2013 | 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by expeditionnw
I agree, maintenance goes a long way. But there isnt much you can do with parts that are weak to begin with. jeep axles will handle 33" in stock form, youd really have to try to break shafts. rovers on the other hand, well good luck.
What kind of jeep are you talking about? A JK? Not really a fair comparison, if comparing to a d2 or older.

A Cherokee isn't going to do any better with 33" tires than a disco. You're right about not braking axle shafts as much, that is because the drive shafts will snap those tiny u-joint strap bolts.

Old 10-15-2013 | 09:30 PM
Three Wheeling

actually, the jk axles are weaker than cherokee axles in alot of ways.

But to be fair, I was comparing the same era/market type of vehicle, so a cherokee.

and yes, a cherokee will hold 33" tires better than a disco. we arent talking offroad prowess, we are talking reliability. the jeeps have 27 spline and a 29 spline shaft options, the "upgrade" for a rover is a 24 spline shaft. I can find some photos if you would like to see a side by side comparison.

funny thing about those "tiny ujoint strap bolts". my 10,000lb 600hp cummins dodge uses the same 8mm bolts to hold its drive lines. by your logic I shouldnt be able to shift into second without shredding them.

Ive pushed the limits of a unibody jeep cherokee. I know what they can take and cant take. you just cant compare them to a rover when talking reliability. compound that with the fact that most jeeps are thrashed to the max offroad, most rovers might see a muddy natl forest road from time to time.

Old 10-15-2013 | 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

I don't need photos. I've owned a Cherokee. The axles aren't up to the task of 33" tires unless you are lucky enough to have a Dana 44 in the back.

Old 10-15-2013 | 09:39 PM
Three Wheeling

guess all the guys running them successfully are wrong then huh?

I guess yukon gear is wrong too. they will warranty breakage of gears up to 33" tire. Yukon Gear & Axle. Warranty Information.

And we all know how aftermarket isnt generous on rubber size when it comes to warranty payout.

Old 10-15-2013 | 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

I've seen more broken jeeps than rovers on the trail. Of course I see more jeeps in general.

Also I wasn't talking about upgrades. I'm talking stock jeep drivetrain with 33" tires. But feel free to continue your Cherokee love. It's quite funny. If you were talking about a JK I'd agree with you. Now I know your just a comedian.

Old 10-15-2013 | 09:54 PM
Three Wheeling

upgrades? dude, gears are gears. not one is stronger than the next. go to dana, youll see the same thing.

And dont misunderstand, im not worshipping the jeep here, just stating facts. youll notice I bought a rover, and am selling the jeep ive built and owned for years.

I really like the hi top the disco has, and the interior layout, the full tailegate swing, as well as the boxed frame. Its gonna make a sweet camper. I dont relish putting different axles under it, but i need it to be reliable.

It never fails to amaze me how many rover guys swear smugly that their vehicle is the best 4x4xfar because they had one in the dakar rally. the suspension is among the best, the tcase is great, the rest is pretty sad really.

Quick Reply: Jeeps