Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Life and more setbacks.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 05:58 PM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts
Default Life and more setbacks.

Funny this ole life. You start to get on top again and are then kicked right back down to square one.

My sister who lives opposite in our little 5 house hamlet suffered a massive stroke on last Saturday midday. Fortunately the emergency services were very rapid and she was picked up locally by helicopter air ambulance and within 1-1.5 hours was in the neuro vascular department in La Rochelle hospital 60+ miles away being evaluated and initial treatment carried out to save her life and any further neurological damage. It's early days yet and a long intrepid journey in front of us all.

It was a crushing blow for all of us and we will need to pull together for the months to come until she can be rehabilitated.

My sister is a very religious catholic person (not that that saved her) who has never smoked and is slim and petite but never sporty or overly very active, she is 74 now.

How does one repay the excellent services received from the local GP doctor, the ambulance guys (the pompiers), and the helicopter ambulance crew who with onboard doctors and the superb ITU hospital staff. In many other countries including the UK she wouldn't have made it but the whole 'ensemble' here worked together like clockwork to achieve this and improve her chances of survival. Her situation will remain serious for some time yet.

Although very depressed by the whole incident and at yet another major setback I am truly humbled by the dedication of all the people involved and their genuine concern for not only her health but also all of ours.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Just find them and tell them thank you. You would be amazed at how much that means to folks that do that kind of work.

Hoping your sister has a fast and full recovery.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

It's so easy to go thru the motions everyday and then realize in a split second how we can take things for granted. I was just having this conversation with my sister tonight, how we need to live in the moment because that is all that there is really. I'm certain the first responders realize how grateful you and your family are for their quick response and care. Just knowing that they did their job effectively and that your sister is on her road to recovery is thanks enough. I'm sure if you felt like you needed to do something a short hand written note would be appreciated. Take care of yourself Offroad xx

Old 10-14-2014, 09:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Offroad. I'm sorry to read about your sister. Hang in there buddy. I know these things can be almost as hard on the family as they are on the person who
is sick. I'm praying for God to give you all peace through this ruff time.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

yeah, try to look up/contact the responders and thank them personally. it does mean a lot and best wishes to you all.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:46 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

the last time i was there the ER staff told me what company brought me in, i sent some pizzas to there office a couple nights later.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear this. Hope she recovers quickly. Sounds like the medical in France is top notch . Thanking them would probably make their day.
Take care

Old 10-19-2014, 12:07 PM
Baja

A quick update. I was at the hospital yesterday and my sister has made significant recoveries and was in a hospital ward wheelchair although there is a long way to go as yet. She is now off of the life support kit and infusion drips and although still in the neurology department she has been moved out from intensive care and taking medication orally. They have put her on solid, well pureed, food on a low fat diet. It is credible she will be moved to a more local hospital in the future for rehabilitation and physiotherapy but when it's impossible to say.

Thank you all for your kind messages and I will defo be in touch with the first responders soon once the dust has settled more. We have an enormous debt of gratitude both to them and the hospital ITU and neurology department in La Rochelle which has also been exemplary.

We have learned one thing 'never take your health and life for granted' as one never knows what awaits you around the next corner. Live for today.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 10-19-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Good to hear. Godspeed

The following users liked this post:
OffroadFrance (11-02-2014)
Old 11-01-2014, 08:00 PM
Baja

Thanks for your good wishes guys, much appreciated. My sister is doing well considering. They have moved her from La Rochelle ITU to HDU and then locally to Saintes hospital neurological ward and since to the physio/rehab unit in the same hospital.

I was musing today how many people had bothered me to ask favours very recently or want to borrow equipment and not one had the decency to ask about her or offer any help however minor. The thought would have been good or considerate but thankfully I can invariably cope on my own. Looking across the spectrum of those around me I realised what a bunch of selfish, self centred and useless wasters they are. However, their time will come and I just maybe will turn a 'blind' eye when they are in a similar position. Even my French neighbour has telephoned me every couple of days to enquire how my sister is but as for the Brits, one depairs of basic humanity in their cases. I took the trouble at the outset to contact some (so called) close relatives in the UK and let them know but not one single person, including our sister, has bothered to telephone and enquire as to any progress. Thankfully I'm atheist and don't rely on any beliefs or the other useless human detritus around me so my opinion remains stet and unamazed as it has been for many years now about many people.

Quick Reply: Life and more setbacks.