Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

LR on side of the road/had to stop

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 11:54 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LR on side of the road/had to stop

I saw a '96 RR on the side of the road tonight on my way home from a meeting and about 3 miles from my house on a "short-cut" gravel road I like to take, so naturally I stop to see if I can't help out or anything. I know every LR owner around my area and I have never seen this one before which also intrigued me.

The two guys in the truck see me coming and start to point at me (my truck kind of sticks out). I get up there and he says that its been acting funny and now it doesn't want to start. He said he just bought it 2 weeks ago and was actually hoping to run into me as he had seen me many times before he bought his LR. Now I cant do too much as I have some of the nicest clothes I own on (meeting I was at) and my lady would flip on me if I got them greasy.

So I tell him to try to turn it over and it sounds fine, then I go back to watch/smell/feel his exhaust while he turns it over and there is nothing coming out/no pressure. Its not even hooked up. I can just pull it off. Then I get on the hood and there is oil stains everywhere, the belt looks really bad, original LR plug wires, extra wires all over from the last guy who had sub woofers and **** in it.

I feel like the truck is really hot. So I look at the coolant level, there is NO coolant in this truck, none. And his oil is dangerously low as well. So of course being a LR owner who works on my own truck and like to be prepared for just about anything. I have 2 quarts of oil and a gallon of coolant in my truck at all times. This truck used all of my oil and all of my coolant. I then grab my OBD2 scanner, which I always carry, and try to find the plug-in, which I can't find and I have never owned a RR, let alone in this year range. Again I am not dressed to be rolling around looking at everything so I just look to see that the lights are on and the ABS light has been on all week he said.

Truck then starts up fine and the temp drops.

I then give him my cell and he is going to call me tomorrow and after I am done with work he is going to come over to my house and we are going to go over his truck as much as possible. I am doing some research on the truck tonight as well. Hopefully I can come up with a list of "must do's" for him because the truck has a great body and the interior was great.

If he doesn't want to spend the money or do the work I might offer him next to nothing for it and fix it up for my lady, its purple which is her favorite color and she wishes she had her own LR. Plus with the body and interior being as nice as it is I wouldn't have guessed it was as old as a '96.

Just thought I would share my LR experience for the night.

P.S. - I came home and poured a Stella into a Land Rover pint glass Justin from Lucky8 sent me and now I am going to bed.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:22 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Lucky guy that one...good thing you passed by him and stopped...or maybe he would still be there :P

You're one of those guys you want to have near when you don't know anything about mechanics :P

Old 04-21-2010, 06:57 AM
Drifting

wow you're lucky to have that chance, I would love to be there too

Old 04-21-2010, 07:19 PM
Mudding

I probably would've stopped too....respect your fellow Rover owner!

And it's good Karma in the bank!

Old 04-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by m0t0r1t3
wow you're lucky to have that chance, I would love to be there too_________________ logo design contests

I don't know what you mean???

Originally Posted by CopperMtnGuy
I probably would've stopped too....respect your fellow Rover owner!

And it's good Karma in the bank!
That's right we have to help each other out sometimes, especially on this forum. You get so much great info here you should always give back what you can for the betterment of us all...

Old 04-22-2010, 01:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, I always stop for dead or injured Rovers.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:02 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

that post was spam.. "wish i was there"

i did something like that the other week. Except it was a major highway and it was a Disco 1. I got off the next exit turned around got back on and the f*cker was gone! i caught up and realized they had stopped to read a map.... then because of my move i was stuck in prime time rush hour traffic.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx

i did something like that the other week. Except it was a major highway and it was a Disco 1. I got off the next exit turned around got back on and the f*cker was gone! i caught up and realized they had stopped to read a map.... then because of my move i was stuck in prime time rush hour traffic.

That's funny - at least you came back around just in case.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx

Did you ask to see if they needed help reading the map?

jk

Old 04-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CopperMtnGuy
Did you ask to see if they needed help reading the map?

jk

i would have but they were doing about 65 at that point and the passengar was trying 2 read it as they went. thats how i knew what they were doing on the side of the road.

Quick Reply: LR on side of the road/had to stop