Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Are many forums now dying?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Moving forward I think we will start to see a swing towards LR2/3/4 tech becoming more prevalent.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:23 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

I'm of the same thinking as Friday Night Disco. Facebook groups are more exclusive and seem less tolerant to bad manners.

Was heavy into bird hunting blogs for nearly ten years...and watched them turn into a shadow of themselves...especially, after Facebook showed up on the scene. Most "like-minded" folks split off into groups that enjoyed certain types of banter, from spirited to foul-mouthed fodder.

Some facebook groups l've only visited once or twice, took no time at all to realize they didn't suit my needs.

Will this blog survive...probably...or at least until all of the Disco are finally dead.

Brian.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:59 AM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Moving forward I think we will start to see a swing towards LR2/3/4 tech becoming more prevalent.
X1 ................. I totally agree with you AR.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:22 AM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
I'm of the same thinking as Friday Night Disco. Facebook groups are more exclusive and seem less tolerant to bad manners.

Was heavy into bird hunting blogs for nearly ten years...and watched them turn into a shadow of themselves...especially, after Facebook showed up on the scene. Most "like-minded" folks split off into groups that enjoyed certain types of banter, from spirited to foul-mouthed fodder.

Some facebook groups l've only visited once or twice, took no time at all to realize they didn't suit my needs.

Will this blog survive...probably...or at least until all of the Disco are finally dead.

Brian.
Hi Brian, unfortunately the moronic attitudes of the UK and Europe haven't yet caught up with the US re FB, Twitter, Instagram el al, as many young people are being 'bullied' via social media whatever that means, some sensitive kids have even committed suicide due to adverse comments posted. Social media in the UK and Europe has a steep hill to climb before becoming acceptable to the older and sometimes wiser public, unfortunately it's not always what it seems. Much of the social media is presently undergoing litigation though the courts system for abuse of their powers and editing which may terminate the distasteful phenomena. If it were me, I would tell the person(s) to FO or not use the particular site, which is optional anyway, but it's probably why I don't use social media anyway as I heard it's too bitchy and volatile. There seems too many nasty or sensitive and fragile people around these days for my tastes. I enjoy good old fashioned banter and wind ups but unfortunately different people read things differently or sadly take it too much to heart. c'est la vie

CJ

Old 01-22-2018, 07:36 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 846 Likes on 633 Posts

IMHO..... I prefer here at LandRoverForums.com for up to either help or learn from other people's LR issues.
I've ventured onto other Land Rover forums but I always come back here. I find that on other forums the members act like straight arseholes or they want you to pay for an annual membership or they want you to join their FaceBook page (I don't have FB or Twitter) because they have old posts.

Last edited by JUKE179r; 01-31-2018 at 04:57 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I find that many of the facebook pages have at least one post per day asking about the dash lights (tres amigos) and roof leaks.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

lol...

I enjoy the Georiga Land Rover group, no one seems to do that

Old 01-22-2018, 02:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

Part laziness, part absolute ****e search functions on pretty much every forum.

Once the user figures out to google "(name of forum) (topic/issue)", they tend to stop posting the same question over and over again.

Huge kudos to all the users like Bbyer and others that have done this for me and others when we started looking for advice.

The worst is people asking for help, not listening to anyone, and posting back later all about their buyers remorse and how utter crap the LR brand is because they bought a sight unseen (insert unreliable model here that everyone seems to buy) and now it needs this and that to run and oh god all they wanted was a daily driver.

Lease a freaking fiesta, people. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong, part of what's great about this forum and the other good ones is nobody pulls punches.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Once the user figures out to google "(name of forum) (topic/issue)",
All forum's search engines suck.

My recommendation to others here is to leave out LRF as forum name in any google search. Large % of hits are for here anyway. Users can often find other helpful information from other sites. We don't have a monopoly on right/wrong answers.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by number9
All forum's search engines suck.

My recommendation to others here is to leave out LRF as forum name in any google search. Large % of hits are for here anyway. Users can often find other helpful information from other sites. We don't have a monopoly on right/wrong answers.
for the purposes of finding something on that forum specifically, IE

Dsource
NasRow
Expo

etc. it is useful to have the name, don't have a preference, we all will recall posts from various places and want to reference that

The following users liked this post:
number9 (01-23-2018)

Quick Reply: Are many forums now dying?