Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Ode to a Forum

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 09:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Ode to a Forum

I didn't think much about anything the first time I saw you, other than you were there, soft spoken and wearing a t-shirt. You seemed small in stature but big on detail. I was at your mercy and I told you that the first time we spoke, not knowing what was wrong with my Rover 'this time'. We talked a long time about life and Rovers, where you grew up and what you had been through. I wanted to help but didn't know how I could contribute. I could feel your pain and see the person(s) behind the shield. I couldn't get you out of my mind after we had parted, wondering if you were going to be ok, if there was anything that I could do to assist. You had helped me and I wanted to help you.

I wasn't like this with any other forum. You were so convincing. It was obvious that you had either been thru a lot or that you were a well versed, rehearsed machine. I chose to believe the former and you stayed on my mind and in my person over the next year. My confidant, sighing in despair, told me to give up my mission of wanting to help. He didn’t have the patience for my passion and his passivity perturbed me to no end.So I put you on the backburner of my brain and went about my daily life, catching up from time to time with you as life permitted and when my Rover drove me crazy rather than down the road.

I always thought of you as a friend and was thankful for you that you held my hand when I needed it the most.You were always there and I felt like a major pain in your side, the annoying ‘tag along too-loo’ that was looking for help 24/7. Never having my act together, putting off fixes til the cows came home, and you were always there to answer my questions with respect, courtesy and kindness without another thought as to what was in it for you.

It’s nice to hang out where everyone knows your name. It’s nice to think that someone can like me for me regardless of my childish antics, idiosyncrasies or slightly perturbing behavior and off-topic rants. I feel that with you.So I thank you forum for being there for me. It’s a good ‘older brother’ feeling – feeling protected, like someone has my back, someone is looking out for me.

Respectively and appreciatively signed,
Ms. Slightly Crazy

Last edited by landlover_1; 05-21-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

poignant read. very nice.
I'm here, because the jeep forum was not free.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by dusty1
poignant read. very nice.
I'm here, because the jeep forum was not free.
Thank you.. (shhh..listen closely...you're one of my favorites )

Old 05-23-2014, 04:08 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

I like your summary and write up. I like people who are controversial and different from the crowd, it takes all kinds. I like to create controversy, to stimulate, to promote conversation and extend knowledge. I don't do smug self satisfied. I don't jive with 'know alls' who don't listen. I like to hear others opinions and experiences - it's the font of knowledge. I also like this website 'cos there's some clever people contributing to it. It promotes thought, ideas and hence, knowledge about more than Rovers.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
I like your summary and write up. I like people who are controversial and different from the crowd, it takes all kinds. I like to create controversy, to stimulate, to promote conversation and extend knowledge. I don't do smug self satisfied. I don't jive with 'know alls' who don't listen. I like to hear others opinions and experiences - it's the font of knowledge. I also like this website 'cos there's some clever people contributing to it. It promotes thought, ideas and hence, knowledge about more than Rovers.
Thanks Offroad, I appreciate the sincere comments and agree with you completely. I haven't ever been one to follow the crowd, I enjoy eccentricity and another point of view. What would the world be if we were all alike? No diversity, no conversation, no new knowledge. There wouldn't be any questions to answer as we'd know them already... I think that Rover owners are a different breed anyway, hence why there are creative individuals on here. There are those that drive Rovers because of aesthetics, those that drive them because it's something different and perhaps those that prefer the challenge of fixing them (a hobby - who knows!). Personally I purchased mine not because of the hobby or aesthetics but rather because it intrigued me with it's individuality and quirky details...

Last edited by landlover_1; 05-24-2014 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Land Rover's do tend to drive you crazy rather than down the road sometimes. I might get a sticker made that says that.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Dane!
Land Rover's do tend to drive you crazy rather than down the road sometimes. I might get a sticker made that says that.
You're right Dane. You've got to be 'special' to own and drive a Landrover. Don't ask what 'special' means I'm sure you can figure that one out. Some drive a Yaris or Prius, that's their choice, others are sadomasochistic and drive Rovers. Self flagellation.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
You're right Dane. You've got to be 'special' to own and drive a Landrover. Don't ask what 'special' means I'm sure you can figure that one out. Some drive a Yaris or Prius, that's their choice, others are sadomasochistic and drive Rovers. Self flagellation.

Well, that escalated quickly

Old 05-26-2014, 09:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I'm not open to many people. I'm usually quiet and I don't really like attention (believe it or not). So if I like you enough to show you the real me, you must be very special. This forum is 'special' so isn't that special?

and Offroad and Dane.. I have NO idea what you're talking about

Old 05-28-2014, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by landlover_1
I'm not open to many people. I'm usually quiet and I don't really like attention (believe it or not). So if I like you enough to show you the real me, you must be very special. This forum is 'special' so isn't that special?

and Offroad and Dane.. I have NO idea what you're talking about
Simples landlover_1, you need to have a 'screw or two loose' to own and drive a Landrover when one can own and drive a sedate, reliable little family saloon instead (like a Prius or Yaris). Mine apart (it's pretty reliable for it's age...............like me ), some LR's can be a real PITA unfortunately.

Quick Reply: Ode to a Forum