Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Off topic 40cal

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 05:24 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man it seems like a lot of us on here own a .380 I do love mine but want to upgrade my 40cal

Old 10-20-2011, 05:43 PM
4wd Low

The M&P 40 is a solid pistol.
Have you tried running a Glock 22?

The .40cal is a short 10mm, the recoil felt is more than a 9mm but less than a .45 ACP.
Also, it has less muzzle velocity than the 9mm but more than the .45 ACP.

Personally I run a 9mm (G17), two of the other instructors of our company run 9mm and the other runs a .40s&w.
IMHO given the choices for defensive loads, either a 40 or a 9 is more than capable of being used for protection.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:04 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by abrady
Bersa Thunder .380 CC. With the little money I make I have to wonder: Why I drive (and love) one of the most gas guzzling expensive to run vehicles, and carry a pistol that fires the most expensive ammo.
I know right?!

I like the size of the Bersa, I can carry it without anyone knowing, a big plus walking around the mall.
A .380 has plenty of stopping power, almost no recoil and fits in the center console of the truck too.
I love it.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:14 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a question that is on, but still a bit off original topic. I am getting my concealed carry license soon, and I was wondering HOW you guys carry your handguns (as in where on your body) in public and WHEN you do (when you feel it is appropriate).

Old 10-20-2011, 06:23 PM
4wd Low

I carry on my person everywhere I legally can.
Outside the waistband holster or inside the waistband holster, depends on the clothing.
(For OWB I'd recommend a Safariland, for IWB I'd recommend a Comp-Tac Minotaur.)
Carry a full size Glock 17 which is surprisingly easy to conceal.
FWIW, I'm 5'11 around 175-ish.
When I'm in the car I usually keep it on me however I have been known to put it in the console also.

I strongly advise taking a pistol course once you've applied for your permit.
Hell if you weren't on the other side of the country I'd hook you up with one (free).

Last edited by 325MOUTguru; 10-20-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:42 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 325MOUTguru
I carry on my person everywhere I legally can.
Outside the waistband holster or inside the waistband holster, depends on the clothing.
Carry a full size Glock 17 which is surprisingly easy to conceal.
FWIW, I'm 5'11 around 175-ish.
When I'm in the car I usually keep it on me however I have been known to put it in the console also.

I strongly advise taking a pistol course once you've applied for your permit.
Hell if you weren't on the other side of the country I'd hook you up with one (free).
Thanks for the info man. I was considering the course, now I'll do it for sure.

...and I appreciate the offer for the free course

Old 10-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

DO NOT get your CCP without taking a course, here you must take a course to get your licence.
I'm all of 5'5" and 200lbs so I carry in the small of my back inside the waste band.
My shirt covers it that way and I dont have to wear a jacket, etc.
I wear shorts 90% of the time so I cant carry on my ankle.
As to when and where I carry, the mall, off roading for sure, mostly at the mall.
I dont carry often and no matter what my plan is to retreat whenever possible, they can have my wallet, truck, shopping bags, whatever, those things can all be replaced.
And in the event of a mass shooting like in CA this week, if I am close try and neutralize the target for the safety of everyone but first and foremost is the safety of my family.
The self defense laws vary from state to state, but here in MI if you can retreat safely that is what you need to do, if not then you are free to do whatever you need to do.
This is where the class comes in, they should tell you what the laws are and when are where you can carry.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

here in MD its very hard to get a CCP, you have to have a valid reason,law enforcement or carry large amounts of cash. As for having it in the vehicle then you have to carry it where its not within easy reach of the drivers seat and the ammo and the weapon must be carried seperartly.
A cousrse is a must to fully understand your responsibilty and both fedral and state law and then the conflicts of them.
As for carrying I have mine on me all the time EVEN at home. I know a number of people of them who have them in a locked box in the bed room or the basement which sounds great in principle but if a situation arrises then you might not be able to get to the weapon in time. Find a rig that you are comfortable with and that you can "draw" the weapon with being a harm to your self. A good friend of mine nearly lost his foot when getting his weapon out quickly. Take your time and learn how to do it
Also make sure you inform a police officer RIGHT away that you have a weapon in your vehicle even if its locked and hid.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

I just have a simple Glock 23 .40 which I open carry in a Blackhawk Serpa level 2 retention holster. I choose to open carry because my state (Missouri) and city allow it, and I don't have a CCW. It is on my hip any time I leave the house, aside from going to work (corporate tends to frown on weapons at work). When at home, I either have it in an Imprint fingerprint scanning pistol safe on the dresser nest to my bed, or on my hip. When my two youngest get a little older, I am going to buy this book: My Parents Open Carry |

I am a strong supporter of our 2nd amendment rights, and by open carrying, have gotten to inform many others of their rights. A right not excercised is a right lost!

Old 10-21-2011, 05:57 AM
4wd Low

Perhaps I should have explained better. In Ky you have to take a course from a CCW instructor before you can apply for your CCW. I meant that after you have applied for the CCW, find a reputable instructor to take a course on the correct way to use your weapon. I.E. stance, grip, sight picture, trigger squeeze, etc. It also helps if the course is more geared toward a defensive role. Usually these courses utilize many training drills around carrying concealed. Also make sure you have a good holster.

Last edited by 325MOUTguru; 10-21-2011 at 06:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Off topic 40cal