Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Rooftop Tents!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 06:32 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rooftop Tents!

Really???

Heading off this summer and planning on driving around stopping off wherever. However, I stumbled across this on JC (ARB3101 - Arb Simpson Rooftop Tent Iii - Includes Ladder & Cover)

It looks superb!

Anyway, anyone know if this is too good to be true? Anyone got one?

Old 05-15-2015, 07:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 118 Likes on 102 Posts

Looks like a long fall out of bed.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:14 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

I don't understand the prices of these tents. So this is 1500 bucks. I mean I can buy another running driving truck for that! I've seen some of the clam shell style go for 5k! I don't get it. It's a tent...on a board w a ladder. Total materials are probably less than 100 bucks. I wish I could sew. I'd make one.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 118 Likes on 102 Posts

I was thinking that, but it would have to be able to support abit of weight (at least in my case) and stuck up in the air like that, if it got windy, might get blown apart. (just thinking out loud) I would assume it would have some sort of legs to support the part hanging out from the truck, but still....

might be kind of neat to get up there by climbing through the sunroof though..

Old 05-16-2015, 06:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

It really all depends on how quickly you want to deploy and break down the tent and under what temperature ranges you want to camp. (And if you're camping in the rain/snow)

I have a Barroud on order, it was a coin flip between it and the Maggiolina.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:46 AM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 278 Likes on 212 Posts

Here are two excellent videos which explain the inner workings of RTTs:

The following users liked this post:
harrym64 (05-20-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 03:35 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Rooftop tents are very popular here in South Africa, there is a certain feeling of security against roaming carnivores if you are on top of your car. The bad news? - cats can climb. Anyway, there are several very good quality roof top tents that easily conquer all the challenges of nature, wind, rain, snow, bugs, all with a reasonable level of comfort. Fairly easy to put up and down depending on the model you buy, there are still pros and cons to using them. Most of the time the girls prefer a ground tent since it is easier to visit the, um, "loo" in the evening. A ground tent offers a place to sit and do things while the weather is bad, while a RTT is really only for sleeping. You can add an extension on to a ground tent for kitchen facilities, not possible with most RTTs. For me, the biggest pain is that in order to drive around you have to pack it all up every time. BUT A good ground tent is far slower to pack up than a roof top tent. If you plan to do a lot of one night stays, a RTT is the better bet. A lot of guys here have both, and if they plan to stay put, they get comfortable on the ground, if they plan to travel to another campsite the next day, the RTT is preferred.

Your RTT will be as stable as your vehicle suspension. If you roll over, your car will bounce around a bit. I don't want to get into too many details about bouncing cars, though.....

Your car manual will probably offer a maximum recommended roof load that would be far less than two of you in a roof tent, but remember that the recommended loading is probably calculated based on the car moving at speed. Having two people in the tent will only happen once you are stopped, and the roof rack can probably handle the weight without problem. That is not to say a RTT will not affect your center of gravity, particularly if you have a taller 4x4 or SUV. You must take the change of center of gravity into consideration if you do any offroading with a RTT. It will also chow into your fuel economy, you have added a brick on top of your car. There are models available that have hard tops - clamshell and other types - that might be preferred to having canvas flapping around as you drive. A RTT is also NOT cheap! Anyway, see if you can rent one first before buying, try it out on your vehicle and see if you like it!
Enjoy!

BTW; the ladder is the support for the end hanging out of the car. A quality tent will withstand whatever weather comes your way, just as a quality ground tent will. China got into the mix; check out www.longroadcamp.com for some nice looking Chinese RTTs.

Last edited by Joe Btfsplik; 05-21-2015 at 03:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dusty1 (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 06:29 PM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

there is a thread on reddit about it, Smittybuilt is selling some now but apparently they are all the same. here is alink for one RTT for 350
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...004673974.html

Last edited by ls1morethanyou; 05-21-2015 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,485 Likes on 1,213 Posts

shipping is going to be the killer. Wonder what the group buy deal would be lol

Old 05-21-2015, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Anyone with alibaba account want to get a shipping quote stateside

Quick Reply: Rooftop Tents!