Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

A Rover that could replace the horse

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 08:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Good video Spike but I did not notice much if any improvements in the RR or Disco 4 when compared to the performance of the D2. Grant the RR was towing a izuzu most of the way but in the end of the vid the D2 was pulling the thing and still the RR seemed to be lacking. But overall I did enjoy the video. I like videos like there were you can compare the early models to the latest models on the trails.
While I respect your opinion and agree with what was seen but we do not know the tire's that were on each car nor the skill of each driver.
So the DII could have had mud tires and a very skilled driver while the Range Rover may have had all terrains and a not so skilled driver.
Does the DII have lockers? We know the Range Rover does not.
We just dont know all of the variables.

It very well could be just the opposite too and the DII is better off road.
This group has lots of videos of them offroading so I guess we need to do more research on this subject.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:44 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
While I respect your opinion and agree with what was seen but we do not know the tire's that were on each car nor the skill of each driver.
So the DII could have had mud tires and a very skilled driver while the Range Rover may have had all terrains and a not so skilled driver.
Does the DII have lockers? We know the Range Rover does not.
We just dont know all of the variables.

It very well could be just the opposite too and the DII is better off road.
This group has lots of videos of them offroading so I guess we need to do more research on this subject.

Yeah that user has several vids on his/her account, though I only watched one other one which appeared to be part 2 of the first vid you linked. You are absolutely correct though about different variables. But I guess it comes down to price of maintenance at the end of the day. IF you do blow a newer RR/LR4 diff or severely damage the body panels/paint work or break a bumper or anything else like that, how much more will it cost with a newer Rover (especially with the $100K full size RR) vs a older simple D2?

I dont hate the new Rovers and I still lust for a Disco 3/4 admittedly. But after watching the 1987 Camel Trophy Madagascar (RR event) I think to myself that I would never want to try a course like that with a newer Rover. They probably could do it but the cost of repairs after scares the **** out of me.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:09 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Here is some pricing for you.
Discovery Rear Differentials

LR3 Rear Differentials

Range Rover Rear Differentials

The newer trucks are stronger than people realize.
I agree that making your own trail through the jungle in a kitted out DI with a diesel would be tons of fun.
But lets be honest, how many of us actually take our trucks that kind of offroading?
Also keep in mind as spare parts become harder to find for the older trucks the price of them will increase while the price of parts for the newer trucks will decrease and more and more used parts will be available as those trucks get totaled in accidents.

The fact is the newer trucks are 10x's more reliable than the older ones, we even have a forum member who had a DI, sold it, bought a LR3, drove it for 15,000 miles and never did anything to it other than oil changes, he got bored, sold it and bought a DII and he's driven it like once in the last year because its always broke.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:47 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Here is some pricing for you.
Discovery Rear Differentials

LR3 Rear Differentials

Range Rover Rear Differentials

The newer trucks are stronger than people realize.
I agree that making your own trail through the jungle in a kitted out DI with a diesel would be tons of fun.
But lets be honest, how many of us actually take our trucks that kind of offroading?
Also keep in mind as spare parts become harder to find for the older trucks the price of them will increase while the price of parts for the newer trucks will decrease and more and more used parts will be available as those trucks get totaled in accidents.

The fact is the newer trucks are 10x's more reliable than the older ones, we even have a forum member who had a DI, sold it, bought a LR3, drove it for 15,000 miles and never did anything to it other than oil changes, he got bored, sold it and bought a DII and he's driven it like once in the last year because its always broke.
Oooh Spike lol. Well I think they both have their pros and cons (old and new Rovers). Best solution in my book is have the best of both worlds Keep your older Disco plus treat yourself to a newer model.