Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Snorkal on Rovers

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 06:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Snorkal on Rovers

Anybody have a snorkal on there Rover? I think they are pretty dumb, my reasons: have to cut ahole in fender, they make a lot of wind noise, they kind of look cool but not that great. Has anybody with a snorkal ever had to go in that deep ov warter where it would benifit them? I just don't know, i don't trust anything in water that dee except a boat. :end rant:

Old 04-06-2005, 11:11 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Snorkal on Rovers

The only people I have seen with a snorkel are those who have never taken their vehicle off road. They merely do it for the looks. If you HAVE to use your snorkel, then you are in some deep sh##. Save your money and buy something else.

Old 04-07-2005, 04:40 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of people over here int he UK have the snokels fitted and they do use them. You realise that the deepest water you can run your landie in safely is about 15"'s, which is not a lot. In the UK, due to the wet weather we do encounter a lot of water. But the snokel is not the only thing you need, you also need all the breather pipes from the axles, gearbox clutch etc raised as well. I do not have a snokel fitted to mine, but I do have the breather pipes fitted, which gives me a few extra inches of water height, but it also means any water crossings I do, do not allow water into axles etc.

Remember the snokle is not just for deep water wading either.
It is also ideal for desert use, as it puts the air in take above the roofline, and out of the dust cloud created by vehicles wheels. If you look at the British army landies in Iraq, you will see they some are fitted with snokels for this reason.

IF you do not intend to use your landie off road, then their is no reason to fit the snokel, though you can get kits which allow for removal of the snokel for everyday use, and you just clip it on when needed.

Old 04-07-2005, 02:52 PM
Overlanding

My Range Rover owners manual says 21" max stock water depth, but the land Rover off-road driving manual says that taking off the fan belt or draping plastic in front of the radiator allows for water to be forded "up to the depth of under the air intake." Since the water level is always a little lower under the hood (bonnet) than the rest of the car, theoretically you can drive your Rover into water almost to the top of the hood, stock. Additionally, I noticed my P38 Range Rover HAS raised axle breathers, a small screw fitting into the top of the axle with an o-ring and a long section of tubing that heads up and forward. Not sure if this is stock or something the previous owner fitted, but I do know that the prev. owner has driven my P38 into water to the tops of the fender completely stock. That was many thousands of miles ago, with no adverse effects.

Old 04-10-2005, 08:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

with some snorkels you can get a ram air effect when driving on the freeway. good for gas milage.

Old 04-10-2005, 10:41 PM
Mudding

The Snorkles arn't only for the water though, like stated above you get better gas milage, and if you go offroading in the dirt, your SUV performs much better because of cleaner air. Beleive it or not where the intake is placed is effected greatly even if its a foot higher.

Old 04-16-2005, 03:38 AM
Recovery Vehicle

with the intake on the lr3 being open on the fender, it would kinda be easy to make a ram air/snorkel for one of them

Old 04-16-2005, 02:48 PM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: troverman

My Range Rover owners manual says 21" max stock water depth, but the land Rover off-road driving manual says that taking off the fan belt or draping plastic in front of the radiator allows for water to be forded "up to the depth of under the air intake." Since the water level is always a little lower under the hood (bonnet) than the rest of the car, theoretically you can drive your Rover into water almost to the top of the hood, stock. Additionally, I noticed my P38 Range Rover HAS raised axle breathers, a small screw fitting into the top of the axle with an o-ring and a long section of tubing that heads up and forward. Not sure if this is stock or something the previous owner fitted, but I do know that the prev. owner has driven my P38 into water to the tops of the fender completely stock. That was many thousands of miles ago, with no adverse effects.
Yes, I have seen stock Landies go in even deeper and not have a problem, (last time the owner boasted about it, and did it again, through the same water a week later and trashed his engine. Luck has a lot to do with it when going through deep water with a stock vehicle. Which is why the manufacturers state a maximum, that they know will be safe for it to be done time and time again. I certainly would not go above the top of the wheels without a snorkle.

Old 04-18-2005, 01:44 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I certainly would not go above the top of the wheels without a snorkle.
... and the extended breater hoses.